Rear facing height limit in convertible carseats

AmyKat

According to the instruction manual for the new Recaro Signo ...

Use this child restraint rear-facing only with children weighing 5 to 35 pounds, 34 inches (86.4cm) or less, and younger than 12 months of age.

I'm sure that the 12 months of age part is just poor wording, right?

But, the 34 inches sounds a little short to me. I don't have a lot of experience in this but I think my 14 month old is already 32 inches.

Does anyone know what the height limit is rear facing in any other convertible seat?

Thanks!

Amy

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They have to say 'something' for a height guideline, yes, that IS very short, though. :( In general we treat those guidelines as such, and tend to stick to a more conservative 'head even with the top of the seat, or the weight limit' recommendation, as per the AAP's recommendation.
Oh, and the 12 months of age is what they mean for when you MUST use it RF, not that you can't use it past that age RF...so yeah, poor wording, but most seats have terrible wording on that count :(

Last edited:

AmyKat

Thanks, Jools!

They do say later in the manual that for RF, the head can't be less than 1 inch from the top. I guess I'll go with that. Otherwise this seat won't last very long for my DD.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
According to the instruction manual for the new Recaro Signo ...
Use this child restraint rear-facing only with children weighing 5 to 35 pounds, 34 inches (86.4cm) or less, and younger than 12 months of age.

I'm sure that the 12 months of age part is just poor wording, right?

Amy

I think that Britax has the same goofy wording. The "only" is confusing and makes it sound like the seat can be used rear facing only if your child is under 1 year. It should be read as - you must use the seat RF if your child is under 1 year. (i.e., under 1 year, RF is the only way to install, over 1 year, you may install RF).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks, Jools!

They do say later in the manual that for RF, the head can't be less than 1 inch from the top. I guess I'll go with that. Otherwise this seat won't last very long for my DD.

Yeah, that's fine to follow that...it's a VERY tall seatback, should still get most kids to 35 pounds, no problem.

SPJ&E

I agree...34 inches is way too short of a limit for that tall of a seatback. My 2.5 year old is just slightly over 36 in. tall and still has a good 3 in. or so above his head. We're going by the 1-inch rule for rear-facing in that seat (and the weight limit too, of course).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC