Question Convertible car seat suggestions for volkswagen Tiguan/GTI

pfm

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could give me a car seat recommendation. I have a six month old who is 18 lbs and 27" tall. We have a babytrend flex-loc car seat which was a pain to install in my 2010 Tigaun (center seat so it was a seatbelt install).

I'm looking for convertible car seat recommendations mostly because I just want to be prepared for when she outgrows her car seat. She has about 2.5" of shell left above her head.

She's in my car the most (the Tiguan) so I was thinking of getting the Radian RXT since it has a slim profile and probably woud fit RF and FF. Is the install in the middle seat with the belt doable?

I also need a car seat for my husband's car (08 GTI, 2-door). This seat will probably double as a travel seat so ideally it would be small, light, and easy to using both LATCH and a seat belt, preferably without carrying around pool noodles or towels. I guess this means it would have to have a built-in recline. Does such a seat exist?

ADS

skipspin

The Radian is a slim seat side-to-side, but can take up a lot of room rear-facing front-to-back. It's also not known for the easiest seatbelt installs, especially in a few years when you turn it forward-facing and still want it in the center. I'm not familiar with the Tiguan enough to know specifics, but the Radian and seatbelt doesn't always play easy with narrow center seatbelt installs. It is a great seat, though, so I'd suggest going somewhere where you can try it in your vehicle. BuyBuyBaby will let you try it in your car- as well as some other higher-end baby stores.

As far as your easy seat- the Britax convertibles are really nice as far as ease of installation, but mot really small and light. The MyRide is light and generally eays to install, but isn't really small. It's also easy on the budget, which is a plus. I wouldn't recommend a TrueFit for travel as it's heavy and large. I"m sure there are some seats I'm missing, and maybe someone else could help you since I"m not as familiar with the newer seats that have come out in the last year. I have a Coccoro that is great for travel, but it doesn't last nearly as long as any of the other seats, so I'd only recommend it if you are willing to replace it sooner when it's outgrown or are planning another child in the near future where you would pass it down.

ceruti82

I had a radian RF in my Tacoma and had no problem. Had to move seats forward a little bit, but nothing uncomfortable. I like the radian for RF a LOT! For FF tho, I felt that DD had major head flop when sleeping. Now in a frontier and never have that issue. Just a thought for the future.

Funny, I now have a tiguan, and hubby has a GTI :)

pfm

The GTI and Tiguan just go hand-in-hand :)

Does anyone have any opinion on an Evenflo or the lower-range Graco convertibles (Comfortsport, etc). If it's cheapish (around or under $100) I'm fine with a lower weight range. I think the Coccoro, while awesome, might be out of the budget for only a part-time use car seat given the lower weight limits.

A

auroracolon

Hi I know its been a long time since this post but im now expecting and need to find a carseat for my 2010 GTI, its 4 doors but every seat I've tried so far has the front passenger seat almost all the way to the front. Was wondering what you ended up using in your GTI?
Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC