Como's/Signo Manual on-line

ADS

LuvBug

wow they use the 1" rearfacing rule for their convertible, point blank. Its good that they give it as fact.
I wonder how their lockoffs will be? hopefully better than britax's have become :p

Ive just quickly skimmed but they seem to go into good detail about the simple things. I did not see anything about a RFing tether though :confused:

dluciew

I was looking thru the manual for the Signo and there are instructions for using the tether for FF but it's not mentioned RF (it also does not say you can't use it RF). So what's your take on it?

LuvBug

I was looking thru the manual for the Signo and there are instructions for using the tether for FF but it's not mentioned RF (it also does not say you can't use it RF). So what's your take on it?

usually if it doesnt specifically say you can, you assume you cant. I dont know why they would leave it out if it was something they allowed?

AmyKat

I noticed the same thing about the RF tether. Surely that's just an oversight and it will be corrected. I also noticed a couple of spelling errors ( "onnectors" instead of "connectors") so maybe this is just a rough draft.

On the cover of the Signo manual, it says ...

Use this child restraint rear-facing only with children weighing 5 to 35 pounds, 34 inches (86.4cm) or less, and younger than 12 months of age.

Surely the age part is just poor wording, right?

But, the height limit. Does 34 inches seem really low to you? I think my 14 month old is already 32 inches.

Amy

LuvBug

height and age limits are really only guidelines. I believe what they are meaning is you have to use it with children under 34" and under 12m... like how the scenera is.

JOII

Thanks for the link!

I have read the whole thing and find a few things troubling.

The 34" RF height limit.

• Rear-Facing Mode: Child restraint system for children
5 to 35 pounds, 34 inches (86.4cm) or less, and younger
than 12 months of age.

To me that is making it a "limit" and may confuse parents.

No mention of RF tethering (as far as I know the Britax convertibles and Radian DO mention it in their manuals)
NO mention of expiration date!

LuvBug

a lot of manuals have a RFing height limit, infant seats would be the #1 to list them.

But then it states in the RFing section that you stop using it when the child is within 1" of the shell. So I would not go by standing height and would go by the 1" rule.

It very well will most likely confuse some parents, but so could anything else in the manual. The age limit would confuse them as well.

The online manual has a good bit of mistakes and I find the graphics to be sorta bland lol! I like how they color coded stuff, but its sort of jumbled in order. I think Im just too use to reading other brand manuals.

JOII

a lot of manuals have a RFing height limit, infant seats would be the #1 to list them.

It very well will most likely confuse some parents, but so could anything else in the manual. The age limit would confuse them as well.

Oh I know but it just annoys me that there is NO reason they couldn't have put 36" or higher. Theres no reason to aim to low. :thumbsdown:

LuvBug

Oh I know but it just annoys me that there is NO reason they couldn't have put 36" or higher. Theres no reason to aim to low. :thumbsdown:

yeah I think the scenera's is even 36" isnt it? and then they say they cant FF until 34"... am I remembering that right? lol!

yeah I think the scenera's is even 36" isnt it? and then they say they cant FF until 34"... am I remembering that right? lol!

I'm pretty sure the Scenera is 36" because I was thinking about getting it for my DD so she could RF longer, but she's nearly 38". The 34" on the Como reads to me like a limit. :thumbsdown:

To the OP - thanks for posting the link!!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My thoughts (reading the Como manual):

It appears to use BOTH the seat belt's locking mechanism AND their lock-offs. This is in the instructions that combine locking latchplate belts and belts with a switchable retractor; the belt is going to lock at the latchplate no matter how they install it, and it also says:
Pull the seat belt out fully holding lap and shoulder sections together and route through the rear- facing belt path.
That's going to lock a switchable belt. Then it says:
When the seat belt is tight, close the lock-off over both lap and shoulder belt sections, locking the seat belt webbing.
So they're using two locking methods - that's new, as far as I've heard.

The picture they have of tightening a lap-only belt is amusing - there's no way that angle will tighten the belt! You'd have to unbuckle the belt, tighten it, and re-buckle while pushing down on the seat.

From the "troubleshooting" section:
If the seat belt is not locking, you must use a locking clip or the built in lock-off.

I think that must be a typo. Why would you need a locking clip when it has built-in lock-offs?

I'm also wondering if the lack of RF-tethering instructions, along with the statement we got from the woman who posted pics after visiting their office last week about there not being a D-ring, means they aren't going to have RF-tethering after all?

On the Signo, seat belt installation is a bit confusing - OVER the bar on one side, UNDER the bar on the other side.

In any case, I hope I get to play with one soon! :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
From the "troubleshooting" section:

I think that must be a typo. Why would you need a locking clip when it has built-in lock-offs?

I take that as meaning if your can't get the lock off to close (ex: like on rf'ing MA's) you will need to use a locking clip if your seatbelts don't lock.

I am starting to get the feeling that all the hype on the new Recaro maybe deflating. No rf tethering, narrow head wings, etc...

I wonder with the new Recaro will Britax make their 65lb convertible shells taller to allow tall harness slots. Would be a very SMART move on Britax part and give them the a HUGE upper hand in the market.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The 34" RF height limit.

• Rear-Facing Mode: Child restraint system for children
5 to 35 pounds, 34 inches (86.4cm) or less, and younger
than 12 months of age.

!

UGH. Peoeple! This is the SAME crappy wording many of the seats use, including Britax.
It means that IF your child is under 34 inches, or under a year, the carseat MUST ONLY be used rear facing. Not that you can not use it RF for LONGER than that.

It is a weird syntax and grammar usage, which makes it confusing, but it is NOT putting a height or age limit on
RF. It all depends on whether or not the ONLY is modifying the first or second part of the sentence.....

Here are 2 ways of saying it
"You must use this seat RF ONLY -- for a child under 34 inches"
"You must use this seat RF -- ONLY for a child under 34 inches"

Do you see the COMPLETE change of meaning?

I think what they have done, rather than put a RF height limit of 34 inches, is actually to have put a MINIMUM FF limit of 34 inches!! They are saying that IF your child is "under 34 inches, you MUST use the seat RF - but that you CAN use it higher, until your child's head is within 1" of the shell top. But that iunder NO circumstances can you use the seat FF for a child under 34 inches, they MUST ONLY ride RF.

I have NO IDEA if I am making sense, and it is SO HARD to try and describe meaning and emphasis via online forum.....

Anyway...that's my take on it.

LuvBug

I wonder with the new Recaro will Britax make their 65lb convertible shells taller to allow tall harness slots. Would be a very SMART move on Britax part and give them the a HUGE upper hand in the market.

I sure hope so. From the rough pictures we saw it did indeed look like the top slots were much higher on the como than the BV pictured in the same post. I think if the recaro isnt the seat we hope it was, at least maybe it will open up the arena for a little more competition.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I am also not seeing in the Como that you can removed the head bolsters if need be. They actually point to the head & thigh bolsters on page 11 as the SIP. So, That would assume to me that the bolsters are the SIP. But, They do have shots in there with it out (not kid shots in the seat with them out).

Synchro246

Totally makes sense. Even though reading it IN context makes a difference in interpreting it properly, it's still too easy to interpret it that one MUST turn the child FF when those critera are met. They should add a sentence between the "use as RF only" and "use as FF only" that gives clearly states the upper limits of the RF.

ETA--that I'm responding to bob&jess's post

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
From pg 6 of the manual (general warnings section before any instructions are gotten into:)

• Secure this child restraint with the vehicle’s child restraint
anchorage system if available or with a vehicle belt.
• Secure the top anchorage strap provided with this child restraint.
• Snugly adjust the belts provided with this child restraint around
your child.

Bolding mine... the way this is worded, it almost sounds like it's telling you to always use it. Although I'm sure it would say it in the rf'ing section of the manual too if that was the case, right?

southpawboston

i think we really need some clarification from an official recaro rep at this point (not gayle) on some of these issues, the most obvious issue to me being the RF tethering.

on the plus side, i do think it was good that they provided guidelines for hot and cold weather climates-- not to use bulky clothing on kiddos in the cold, but to lay layers on top after being harnessed in. i haven't seen that in other carseat manuals of mine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC