Im not sure what to do.

rosey2007

I injured my neck at work and the doctor put me on lifting restrictions of 5 to 10 pounds. My problem is my ds#2 is only 25 months old and 26 pounds. I want to keep him rear facing but I don't want to injure myself more by lifting him in his seat. My kiddo cannot get into his seat without my help. Should I forward face him until the lift the restrictions?

ADS

Dmcj13

You would still have to lift him into his seat forward facing. What seat is he in? Maybe there is something with a lower profile you could use temporarily. Can you have him practice climbing in while you hold his hand? Is he on a bench seat or in a captains chair? If he is on a bench seat he should be able to climb in from the side after getting on to the vehicle seat.

Calleiah

I drive a truck (with running boards). Liam can, with assistance, climb most of the way into his seat. I do have to help a little, but I dont have to support his full weight. It also doesnt happen very fast cause it's kind of like rock climbing for him. Honestly, I dont see a huge difference getting them in FF/RF. You might try making it kind of a game, put something fun he gets to play with/eat/etc in the seat and then carefully help him get up into his seat. It's just an idea, but with the hyperemesis, the first thing I lose is muscle tone so Liam's had to learn to help out when getting in his seat.
Just a few thoughts since our kiddos are the same age! What kind of vehicle do you drive and where is his seat? Would a different placement in the car help? I've alternated between having Liam in the middle (so I can sit next to him while buckling him in) and moving him outboard to make it easier for him to climb in himself.

NVMBR02

You would still have to lift him into his seat forward facing. What seat is he in? Maybe there is something with a lower profile you could use temporarily. Can you have him practice climbing in while you hold his hand? Is he on a bench seat or in a captains chair? If he is on a bench seat he should be able to climb in from the side after getting on to the vehicle seat.

I agree with all of this.

If the seat is installed on a bench or in a sedan could you move the seat to the middle? Then he would be able to climb in a little easier. You might even be able to help steady him without picking him up if it doesn't put strain on your neck. My just turned 3 year old can climb in her seat (BLVD70) from the ground into her seat in our Pilot (with running boards) if I stand behind her to make sure she doesn't fall. When her seat is in the middle instead of outboard she can do it herself easily. she is older than your DS but she has been able to do it for several months now.

rosey2007

I drive a 2003 kia spectra and have 2 kiddos. I was thinking that I might be able to put my rear facer in the middle,so he would be able to climb in his seat easier.I'm not sure how well a gn booster will fit next to a rear facing evenflo triumph advance 65. The other option I was thinking of would be to but my booster age child and put him in the front seat with the seat all the way back and rear face the evenflo triumph advance.

tam_shops

I would put them both in the back.

I would put the oldest outboard by the door. I would put the youngest RF in the middle. Then, the child can climb onto the floor, onto the seat and into the car seat. It will take a long time, but I imagine if your back is that bad, you probably won't be going far often, especially in the car as it's so much work...

Otherwise, could a neighbour help you put the kids in/out of the car and then find someone on the other end to help them out again?

So sorry, just adds to the difficulty of young kids!

tam

rosey2007

I'm going to try to put my youngest in the middle, but I'm not sure if these seats are going to puzzle well together.

V

VanIsleMommy

I have chronic back issues so my kiddo has to climb in his seat himself (outboard in a radian). I have the baby in the middle and sit or kneel on the vehicle seat to get her in and out. This I've found to be the easiest set up for my back.

TXmom2

I have chronic back & neck issues as well.
Honestly it is easier for my little ones to climb in with the RF seats. My 3 yr old has been climbing into the center RF position in our Pilot since she was about 18 months with assistance. She climbs in by herself now without any assistance at all. Once she gets up on the back seat I close the door & go around to the driver's side and help my 17 month old in (she climbs part way as well) and buckle her. Then I go back to the passenger side, climb into the seat and sit next to her and finish buckling in my 3 yr old (she does the chest clip). It takes a while, but works for us ;)

aept

If the rf seat doesn't fit in the center with the nautlus next to it, I have an idea:
Little one can crawl under the outboard rf seat, climb onto the car's seat in the center, then into their rf seat. Big sibling could maybe show them the "route" if the little one needs a "demo". I agree a little treat in the seat might be a good enticement to do all that climbing. If the car is too high to get into from the ground, perhaps a lightweight stepstool could be used to get from the ground into the footwell area? Then store it in the trunk or footwell for travel.
However if you have a fiercely independent child like my second child then they might be thrilled to "do it myself" and not need the prize at the end!
So sorry you're dealing with this. It must be hard to not pick up or carry your little one for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

rosey2007

aept said:
If the rf seat doesn't fit in the center with the nautlus next to it, I have an idea:
Little one can crawl under the outboard rf seat, climb onto the car's seat in the center, then into their rf seat. Big sibling could maybe show them the "route" if the little one needs a "demo". I agree a little treat in the seat might be a good enticement to do all that climbing. If the car is too high to get into from the ground, perhaps a lightweight stepstool could be used to get from the ground into the footwell area? Then store it in the trunk or footwell for travel.
However if you have a fiercely independent child like my second child then they might be thrilled to "do it myself" and not need the prize at the end!
So sorry you're dealing with this. It must be hard to not pick up or carry your little one for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

I like that idea. There is no way that the evenflo triumph advance is going puzzle with the gn in my car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC