Help me choose a new car seat

A

Af1212

We are in the market for a new carseat and I'm not sure if it would be best to buy a convertible, or a forward facing seat that converts to a booster (not sure what these are called).

Some relevant info:

My daughter is almost 3 and rides in a rear facing Britax Boulevard right now. We are expecting Baby #2 next month, so I hope to keep her rear facing in this seat until she is almost 4/Baby is 1 and then switch her to the new seat.

For the next year, the new seat will be our backup/travel seat. So we will be using it on airplanes and rental cars, and occasionally grandma's car.

Our current travel seat is also a Britax (I think a Marathon), but it is about to expire. She has outgrown it rear facing, so she rides in it forward facing when we are traveling, which I am fine with.

We already tried a Costco Apt/Scenera and hated it, so that one is out.

Any suggestions?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How heavy is your daughter?

If you're ok with her forward facing, an Evenflo Maestro (a combination seat, harness to booster) is probably a great choice.

Wendy

A

af1212

She is currently about 30 lbs, and has consistently been in the 75th %ile for weight. She is 38" tall right now.

Chris

I will be honest, I don't like the same seats for spares that I like for everyday use, so if it were me, I would get an inexpensive seat (Maestro is a great one) that is lightweight and easy to move/travel with for now, and then plan on purchasing another seat in a year.

For our everyday seats we like really plush, heavy duty seats, but those are a pain to move around/travel with so we install them and then leave them alone most of the time. For that, I like the Graco Nautilus or something like the Britax Frontier.

If you want to try to rearface her even longer than 4 you could opt for a Radian, and then pass that down to child#2 when the BLVD is outgrown/expires. The radian is heavy, but does sort of fold up and have a narrower profile and a carry strap, so a bit easier to travel with than a Britax.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC