Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Exclamation Help, need info to show seats unsafe after accident asap

Hi,
    I need a way to convince my insurance company that my car seat that was unoccupied at the time of a minor accident is no longer safe and needs to be replaced. They are willing to pay for replacement of the seat that was occupied but not my second seat. Can anyone direct me to some information that I can show them that the seats are now unsafe? Graco says after any accident, the seats need to be replaced.
    Thank you.

BTW, both seats have already been replaced, I'm just looking for the cost to be covered.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Exclamation need info to show car seat unsafe after minor accident

Not sure where to post this but...
    I need a way to convince my insurance company that my car seat that was unoccupied at the time of a minor accident is no longer safe and needs to be replaced. They are willing to pay for replacement of the seat that was occupied but not my second seat. Can anyone direct me to some information that I can show them that the seats are now unsafe? Graco says after any accident, the seats need to be replaced. ( I have 2 myride65)
    Thank you.

BTW, both seats have already been replaced, I'm just looking for the cost to be covered.

Re: need info to show car seat unsafe after minor accident

The MyRide manual states not to use the seat after a crash- there is no stipulation for unoccupied seats. Have you showed them the manual?

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Did you photocopy Graco's statement in the manual that says you need to replace them?

Re: Help, need info to show seats unsafe after accident asap

I was planning on doing that but I wanted additional info from a respected source, if it is out there to back me up. I looked at NHTSA and they would consider it a minor accident according to their criteria and that the seats don't need to be replaced but Graco says they do. Who do I believe?

You go with the manufacturer

Carseat Crazy

You might also look up regulations from the department of insurance for your state.
    Katherine mommy to Emma 5/06 (2 Big Kids) and Ellie 6/10 (Zebra FR90 and FF TF)

Great, Thanks!!!!

Moderator - CPS Technician

You believe Graco, since they are the ones that will be on the hook if your seat fails in an accident. Photocopy/scan that portion of the manual and send it to your insurance company. Write a letter to the effect of "You can see that Graco recommends that my unoccupied child restraint be replaced after any accident. If I continue to use the seat and it fails in a future accident, Graco will therefore not be liable for any resulting injury to my child. Since it is your position that the child restraint is safe to continue using, I will take your refusal to pay for replacing the child restraint as an indication that your company is willing to accept the liability if the child restraint does fail in the future."
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

JJordan, That is great. Thank you for the suggestion and putting it so perfectly!