Help, need info to show seats unsafe after accident asap

AvIsmom

Hi,
I need a way to convince my insurance company that my car seat that was unoccupied at the time of a minor accident is no longer safe and needs to be replaced. They are willing to pay for replacement of the seat that was occupied but not my second seat. Can anyone direct me to some information that I can show them that the seats are now unsafe? Graco says after any accident, the seats need to be replaced.
Thank you.

BTW, both seats have already been replaced, I'm just looking for the cost to be covered.

ADS

AvIsmom

need info to show car seat unsafe after minor accident

Not sure where to post this but...
I need a way to convince my insurance company that my car seat that was unoccupied at the time of a minor accident is no longer safe and needs to be replaced. They are willing to pay for replacement of the seat that was occupied but not my second seat. Can anyone direct me to some information that I can show them that the seats are now unsafe? Graco says after any accident, the seats need to be replaced. ( I have 2 myride65)
Thank you.

BTW, both seats have already been replaced, I'm just looking for the cost to be covered.

Brianna

Re: need info to show car seat unsafe after minor accident

The MyRide manual states not to use the seat after a crash- there is no stipulation for unoccupied seats. Have you showed them the manual?

AvIsmom

I was planning on doing that but I wanted additional info from a respected source, if it is out there to back me up. I looked at NHTSA and they would consider it a minor accident according to their criteria and that the seats don't need to be replaced but Graco says they do. Who do I believe?

jjordan

You believe Graco, since they are the ones that will be on the hook if your seat fails in an accident. Photocopy/scan that portion of the manual and send it to your insurance company. Write a letter to the effect of "You can see that Graco recommends that my unoccupied child restraint be replaced after any accident. If I continue to use the seat and it fails in a future accident, Graco will therefore not be liable for any resulting injury to my child. Since it is your position that the child restraint is safe to continue using, I will take your refusal to pay for replacing the child restraint as an indication that your company is willing to accept the liability if the child restraint does fail in the future."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC