Question Another Mazda 5 Question

robbertbobbert

I'm looking for a new car. My parents are contributing $8,000 and I hope to have about $3,000 additional saved up by then, so I wouldn't have to have much financed and would like to do new instead of used if possible.

I hate my car and it has over 200,000 miles on it, but I can't buy a new car just yet, so I'm hoping to buy in about a year. My car seriously gets about 12-14 mpg.

I've had a really hard time settling on what car I want. Despite it being hideous, I really loved the Element... until I had to use a RF convertible in one and I just don't want to deal with that long-term.

So now I'm looking at the Mazda 5, which is basically the exact opposite of an Element space-wise. I went to see one in person today and liked it but am kind of concerned by the serious lack of legroom in the second and third rows.

I know they're pretty popular around here and I REALLY like concept. Can you reasonably fit 6 adults in that car if the middle row is moved up some?

Can you fit a BJCM in the back when the third row is all the way up? What about a B-Ready? Pack n Play? Is it worth the extra $1,000 for the Touring rather than the Sport?

I'm test driving one tomorrow and bringing a boatload of car seats to try in it, but I don't have my strollers just yet.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can fit an umbrella stroller back there.

196117_1783677506293_2781404_n.jpg

I could fit six adults in my car as long as it wasn't for a long ride. Generally I put the adults in the second row and the kids in the third, though. If we have six in there.

Wendy

robbertbobbert

Is that the Mazda cargo net or an aftermarket one? I figure since it's $50 I may as well go for it.

ETA: Also, how does a RF radian (with our without angle adjuster) fit in there? Is it possible to get it RF in the back row?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I haven't tried a Radian in the third row at all. It fits in the second without an angle adjuster with no work so that a 5'6" woman can sit in front a little snug. A little more work or an angle adjuster and it'd be easy to put the seat back (though there is no bracing on the passenger seat). I can put the True Fit Premier in the third row putting the second row up a click or two, so I'd imagine the Radian with angle adjuster would work just fine, especially braced on the second row.

That's the Mazda net. It can either be a pocket, like it is in that picture, or if you lay the third row down it goes over the entire trunk.

Wendy

robbertbobbert

Well I test drove one today.

I brought a CCO, Keyfit, GN and HBTB. The guy looked at me like I had seven heads when I asked if I could install them all and try different configurations. I was able to fit the CCO in the back row with the second row all the way back, but not the KF. I could, however, get the CCO in the third row with the KF in the second row (and obviously the seat pushed all the way back).

I'm usually HIGHLY skeptical of loading through the trunk as it seems really, really inconvenient, but with how short those third row seats are with the headrest down and how shallow the trunk is, I think it wouldn't be any problem at all to load a RFer or two through the trunk.

SO NOW I WANT THE CAR REALLY BADLY.

threeundertwo

A Radian with AA will fit in the 3rd row braced with the 2nd row seats all the way back. I've heard they do not fit FF back there though but work fine in the 2nd row.

You can also fit Baby Jogger double strollers in the trunk with the 3rd row up and the wheels off. A pack n play will fit in that space too.

We get lots of compliments on loading our kids through the trunk. People think it's cool and it's way easier to harness them too.

amyd

Yes, you can fit a BJCMD behind the third row with the wheels off. I haven't been able to get my umbrella stroller in because it's too long. The P3 fits, though. Radians will go anywhere RFing with an angle adjuster.

Two RFing Radians third row

Attachments

• image-892004727.jpg
    image-892004727.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 33

amyd

robbertbobbert said:
Does anybody know if you can keep the wheels on if its a BJCM single and not a double? Having to take the wheels off every time would EB a PITA.

I've never seen a single. Does it fold thinner than the double?

threeundertwo

It's actually super easy to take the wheels off our BJCE double - takes like a minute, really, but it would be easier if we didn't have to do it. I think someone mentioned somewhere that they could fit a Phil and Ted's back there with the wheels on.

aept

I am curious to know if anyone who has three kids (and who previously owned a minivan or other larger family vehicle) has been happy with a Mazda 5 as their main family vehicle? Our other car is a Prius and while we can and do fit in it three-across it sure wouldn't be my preference to do on a daily basis.
I have a one year old RF'er, a four year old harnessed FF, and a six year old who could be harnessed or HBB.
I am willing to get a different stroller.
We have a Thule car top carrier already for extra cargo room for travel.
Does Mazda allow use of a third row seat with the other seat folded flat for more cargo room? How would we secure cargo like that if it is allowable?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

amyd

Yes, you can use one third row seat with the other flat. I don't put heavy cargo there (on a long trip, that would be where the stuff we want accessible goes..pillows, toys, books, snacks, etc.). Anything heavy goes in the Thule. I rarely have DS1 with me running errands and I expect it'll be even more rare when he's in kindergarten next year (I won't have three until spring). Both our single and double stroller fit behind the third row so that's where they go, even if only half is up, I feel like they're well contained. I haven't had a need to tie down anything on half the third row, but I'm interested to hear how others do it as well.

threeundertwo

We are a family of 5 and the Mazda 5 is our only vehicle. The 5 works great when it's just the five of us. All three of our kids are under 3 and we're able to take long trips with a Yakima roof box, pack n play, a full size double and single umbrella stroller, and all our other stuff. When we had to replace the tires recently we seriously considered trading it in for a full size minivan because we frequently need additional seats for in-laws and friends. We decided not to primarily for financial reasons. With 6 people it can be really hard to fit everything in for a long trip, but for 5 it works fine for us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC