Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Rear-facing car seats for twins in a small car

I have twin girls who will be two in November and are outgrowing the height limit on their Snugride 35 infant carriers. My husband and I both drive small cars and need to know what seat would be best to use to keep them rear-facing. They will usually be in a 2005 Chevy Cobalt (4 door), but occasionally they will be in a 1997 Honda Civic (4 door). Each seat will be behind a front seat, so we need to make sure they will leave enough room for us to sit up front and drive comfortably. Luckily, I am only 5'2" and my husband 5'10". Because we have to buy a set for ourselves as well as a set for my mother's vehicle, cost is a consideration. Her vehicle is larger, so size is not as big of factor in that case. The girls are probably about 25 lbs and 33". Thanks for any help. We live an hour from any Babies R Us stores where we can try out seats, so I'd at least like a narrowed down list to take with me before I make a trip.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member MorgieBear'sMama's Avatar
    At two years old their seats can be more upright than the carriers are so almost any seat will fit. What seats are you looking at? I have my twins rear facing in a 97 Mazda protege in a recaro proride and diono r120.

Unregistered

Re: Rear-facing car seats for twins in a small car

I have been looking at S1 by Safety First (160.00), which is an all in one, as well as another Safety 1st Convertible all in one (90.00), and a Safety First convertible that goes up to 65 lbs (78.00(specially made for small cars)). Initially I'd thought about the Graco MyRide, but it is huge, and I have a 16 year old stepson that occasionally has to sit between them. I have looked at the Diono seats several times, I like the higher height limit as my girls are always outgrowing height way before weight limits, but they are outside my budget. It would probably be awhile before they'd outgrow the height on many of the other's I have listed as well. Most are up to 40 or 42" inches rear-facing and something like 50-52" forward facing. They are about 33" now and nearly two.

Look at the Safety 1st Guide 65, they are smaller but last pretty long with higher limits.

One concern I have is that the 16 year old should not be sitting in the center seat between the car seats in either vehicle. The Cobalt has a lap/shoulder belt center (from pics I see), but no head rest (needed for whiplash protection), the Civic has no center headrest and is a lap only belt, which is not a safe seating position for anyone to be sitting in.

My suggestion is to try to get one seat center, the other outboard, to provide a safe seat for the 16 year old. You may have to buy 2 different seats to make this happen. IS one of the twins a lot taller or heavier than the other?

You could try the MySize 70 from ToysRus/BabiesRus, it's not quite as wide as the MyRide because it's not so flared out. And they have a 20% off $100 or more purchase coupon you can print out right from the TRU website right now so it would make the price around $148 I think