Rear-facing car seats for twins in a small car

U

Unregistered

I have twin girls who will be two in November and are outgrowing the height limit on their Snugride 35 infant carriers. My husband and I both drive small cars and need to know what seat would be best to use to keep them rear-facing. They will usually be in a 2005 Chevy Cobalt (4 door), but occasionally they will be in a 1997 Honda Civic (4 door). Each seat will be behind a front seat, so we need to make sure they will leave enough room for us to sit up front and drive comfortably. Luckily, I am only 5'2" and my husband 5'10". Because we have to buy a set for ourselves as well as a set for my mother's vehicle, cost is a consideration. Her vehicle is larger, so size is not as big of factor in that case. The girls are probably about 25 lbs and 33". Thanks for any help. We live an hour from any Babies R Us stores where we can try out seats, so I'd at least like a narrowed down list to take with me before I make a trip. :)

ADS

MorgieBear'sMama

At two years old their seats can be more upright than the carriers are so almost any seat will fit. What seats are you looking at? I have my twins rear facing in a 97 Mazda protege in a recaro proride and diono r120.

U

Unregistered

I have been looking at S1 by Safety First (160.00), which is an all in one, as well as another Safety 1st Convertible all in one (90.00), and a Safety First convertible that goes up to 65 lbs (78.00(specially made for small cars)). Initially I'd thought about the Graco MyRide, but it is huge, and I have a 16 year old stepson that occasionally has to sit between them. I have looked at the Diono seats several times, I like the higher height limit as my girls are always outgrowing height way before weight limits, but they are outside my budget. It would probably be awhile before they'd outgrow the height on many of the other's I have listed as well. Most are up to 40 or 42" inches rear-facing and something like 50-52" forward facing. They are about 33" now and nearly two.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Look at the Safety 1st Guide 65, they are smaller but last pretty long with higher limits.

One concern I have is that the 16 year old should not be sitting in the center seat between the car seats in either vehicle. The Cobalt has a lap/shoulder belt center (from pics I see), but no head rest (needed for whiplash protection), the Civic has no center headrest and is a lap only belt, which is not a safe seating position for anyone to be sitting in.

My suggestion is to try to get one seat center, the other outboard, to provide a safe seat for the 16 year old. You may have to buy 2 different seats to make this happen. IS one of the twins a lot taller or heavier than the other?

Phineasmama

You could try the MySize 70 from ToysRus/BabiesRus, it's not quite as wide as the MyRide because it's not so flared out. And they have a 20% off $100 or more purchase coupon you can print out right from the TRU website right now so it would make the price around $148 I think

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC