NBD October 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADS

poohbear

Seems like they've raised their prices... Boulevards have gone from about $130 to $170. Still not bad for a BLVD but not as great as it once was.
Not sure if they're paying more at auction or if they figure they can get more than they have been asking...

Lilybug1

Wow! I can't believe how long these seats are sticking around for...I think it has to do with the prices being too high. It seems like while they were not putting up baby stuff for a month or two, they were revamping their pricing. Personally, I don't it's worth taking the chance of buying a return or possibly damaged/used product for only $20 off the Amazon price (for a big ticket item). Hopefully, the less quick sales might make them re-think the pricing.

Snow mom

Yeah, the prices do seem to have gone up in the two weeks or so I've been watching the site even. I'm glad now that I went ahead and got the seat I needed at a price that I was willing to pay rather than waiting and seeing these increases.

Oh, I just put a RA55 (gumdrop) in my cart if anyone needs it. $102.

kaharris83

The price increases are a total bummer. But probably a good thing because I can get back to my life and stop spending all day refreshing. :) LOL

I am bummed I paid $50 more on a stroller this week than it sold for last week, especially since I had it in my cart last week and their site wouldn't let me check out. Grrr...

moonlightblonde

I wish we had these in Canada - I could totally justify buying dd a new seat if I could get a britax for 100$ - sadly I will have to make due with what we have - I have been 'cut off' of seat buying =(

We have a via bucket dd2 still fits in, a scerena, a CA65, a radian, & a nautilus - we only have one vehicle and 2 kids.

poohbear

The prices really suck now :thumbsdown: They even raised most of the items that were already listed.

I had called earlier this week about an ipad - the white was $50 more than the black (which was unavailable) and they said that's what the price was and they weren't changing it. I said ok and bought one elsewhere.
I have been lucky overall and gotten great deals on the site and only had one snafu (it was my mom's snafu), so I can't complain. It's possible on baby products that their costs have gone up or it's possible as a PP pointed out in another thread that customer returns, etc drove costs up. They are a business, so they're in it to make money.
It's not that their prices are bad now - $170 for a BLVD is a good deal. It's just not the $132 BLVD we were used to..

Lilybug1

I don't know I wouldn't be so quick to blame the customer. Their return policy doesn't allow for returns for change-of-heart, etc., but there has to be something wrong with the product. I don't think they should be selling defective baby items (even if deeply discounted), so I don't see why that would drive up prices.

Anyhow, I think it's more like when you list your house for sale and someone comes in the first day and makes a full offer, you sort of wonder if you could have gotten more. I think they changed their pricing as a whole and not for the better.

I don't really think $170 for a boulevard is that great, considering that Amazon often drops it price to $211 and you are taking a chance with a customer return and how no idea where this seat has been and how it has been handled. I am willing to take that leap of faith for 40-50%, but not for 20-25% off. For that, I'll just wait for the Amazon, Wayfair or Albeebaby sale to pop up and get a brand new one where I am the first-time purchaser.

That's just my 2 cents.

cookie123

These have been floating around for a while today...seems like people are putting them in their carts, but not checking out...hopefully that means someone who really needs/wants one will get it! :D

I had a zebra in my cart, but I couldn't decide. It seemed silly to buy one so soon. And I do like infant seats so I'm sure I'll use what ever I end up getting for dd's baby until it's outgrown. Anyway, they removed it from my cart!

glowworm

Lilybug1 said:
I don't know I wouldn't be so quick to blame the customer. Their return policy doesn't allow for returns for change-of-heart, etc., but there has to be something wrong with the product. I don't think they should be selling defective baby items (even if deeply discounted), so I don't see why that would drive up prices.

Anyhow, I think it's more like when you list your house for sale and someone comes in the first day and makes a full offer, you sort of wonder if you could have gotten more. I think they changed their pricing as a whole and not for the better.

I don't really think $170 for a boulevard is that great, considering that Amazon often drops it price to $211 and you are taking a chance with a customer return and how no idea where this seat has been and how it has been handled. I am willing to take that leap of faith for 40-50%, but not for 20-25% off. For that, I'll just wait for the Amazon, Wayfair or Albeebaby sale to pop up and get a brand new one where I am the first-time purchaser.

That's just my 2 cents.

Actually they allow returns for any reason for 30 days. They pay return shipping if the item is defective. As someone who has worked in corporate retail for quite some time I can tell you that yes, customers are often responsible for changes in prices and policy both positive and negative. These things are not changed on a whim. They are based on trends and markets and a variety of other factors.

Because nbd buys their items at auction, their prices are based upon a number of variables. But yes, customer habits play into company policies all the time.

As for whether or not people chose to buy a $170 blvd, they still don't seem to stay on their site very long so it seems like some people still think they're a good deal.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Lilybug1

Yea, I do not work nor have I ever worked at the online liquidator, which gets its inventory from auctions/returns, nor am I in the department that sets their prices, but I am a consumer. I buy a lot of stuff online and I do make returns when the place has a generous and open return policy like Amazon. I do not lie or try to get around the return policies. Simply not worth my time, energy, which is part and parcel the reason I shop so much online to begin with. This is not even to mention the bad karma.

Admitting up front that I've never worked for an online store, I do think I'm a logical person. I think it defies logic that someone who is cost-conscious enough to spend so much time stalking deals on a site like NBD would then go ahead and return baby items, such as car seats and strollers, which frankly are cost-prohibitive to pay return shipping on your own just because you don't like the color or had some kind of buyer's remorse. It just doesn't make sense to me.

My lack of retail experience on the corporate end probably plays into my reluctance to blame the customer. This is exactly the same excuse that insurance companies use for raising premiums. I'm more inclined to chalk it up to good ole corporate greed. I'm actually pretty pro-marketplace, so I don't necessarily think that companies or retailers in this case are wrong for wanting more profits, but I'm just not so quick to buy into the party line.

That being said, I do believe they are free to set their prices but we as the consumers are free to determine whether it's worth it to us. For me, the most recent price increases are not enough to make me budge because I know that most of the items I have received have been Amazon returns. For the deeply discounted rates they had before, I jumped on these items knowing the risk of returns and the occasional unscrupulous consumer/returner. For the higher prices, I haven't been so quick to buy and take that calculated risk.

I'm not saying I won't buy again from NBD, but I'm just finding that, for me personally, the offering and pricing as of late has been not been enough for me to take the chances I once did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC