Which child in front?

Jan06twinmom

My friend might help by picking my children from school when I have to work in a couple of weeks. She has a sedan that seats five - 3 in the back and 2 in the front. She does have shoulder belts in all 3 positions in the back seat.

My kids:
DD - 7y10m, about 45in tall, 45lbs
DS - 7y10m, about 53in tall, 65+lbs

Her kids
DD - 6y11m, about 47in tall, probably 45ish lbs
DS - 9+yo (4th grader), about 53in tall, 60ish lbs

The 6 and 7yo children would all be in nbb seats. Her 9yo is not in a booster seat in her car.

So which child would be safest in the front seat - for a short, less than 2 mile drive from the school to their house? Originally I thought it would be the 9yo because he is oldest. But he is not in a booster seat and I assume that at 4'5" tall, he doesn't pass the 5 step test. So then I'm wondering if my DS would be the safest because he is the same height, slightly heavier and he would be in a booster seat. But I can also see how one of the girls would be safer because they are in a booster seat and they are lighter in weight.

Thanks for your help!

Melanie

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The "right" answer is her DD, harnessed. Secondly, her DS, boosted.

I'm assuming those aren't options, so I would have her put her DS up front if she is willing, since I am presuming she knows he should be boosted and chooses not to use one. Callous, I know, but if she doesn't consider CPS a big deal then I can't see you volunteering to endanger your kids, kwim? (Better one non-best practice kid than two is my thought.)

ETA: Do you have a harnessed seat that would for your DD? I totally missed her stats, but if you could install a FR85 for her ahead of time, that would be ideal.

Jan06twinmom

ETA: Do you have a harnessed seat that would for your DD? I totally missed her stats, but if you could install a FR85 for her ahead of time, that would be ideal.

I hadn't even considered the harness option. I currently have a Radian 65 and a Britax Regent that my DD would fit in. Between those two, which one would be best? I'm assuming that neither seat could be top tethered if it was in the front seat.

Melanie

kam1011

Do your friend's kids ever ride in the front seat regardless? I'm assuming not, based on the question, but if they do, then problem solved. But assuming no, what if you mention to your friend that the 9yo would be safer in the front seat in a lbb so that the seatbelt would fit better, especially combined with the airbag, etc. Would she be receptive to using a booster when the kid's up front?

Jan06twinmom

Do your friend's kids ever ride in the front seat regardless? I'm assuming not, based on the question, but if they do, then problem solved. But assuming no, what if you mention to your friend that the 9yo would be safer in the front seat in a lbb so that the seatbelt would fit better, especially combined with the airbag, etc. Would she be receptive to using a booster when the kid's up front?

Her children never ride up front either. She and her husband are very firm on this - because she says it is so much safer. But her 9yo hasn't been in booster seat in awhile. The 8yo law in CA came into effect after her DS was 8yo - so he was legally able to sit in the car without a booster seat at 6yo.

cookie123

Has anyone had success installing a seat on front? I recall trying this once in my Tribute. It had a long hard belt stalk. I don't recall which carseats at all. It didn't work. What about the top tether?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
9 year old in a backless booster would be ideal; can you maybe convince them that the oldest is the safest up front, but since he's up front it would be worth the "extra safety" to booster him?

V

VanIsleMommy

The 9 year old has the most mature skeleton so he should be in the front seat.

What seats and boosters are available?

Kat_Momof3

I'd put the oldest up front, but unless the 9yr old passes the 5-step test, she'd be using a booster.

I'd put the vehicle seat all the way back to keep away from the airbag.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC