2 & 4 year old on a school bus?

agave

Thursday my kids have a field trip I can drive but it would be nice for my 4 yr old to get some practice on the bus before Kindergarten next year. But if I ride with my 4 yr old that puts my 27 lb almost 3 yr old on the bus too. I'm not sure I'm OK with that. The bus may have seat belts or not. I could let my 4 yr old ride and drive my 2 yr old but then I don't know if she's sitting right or goofing off also my 2 yr old would not like being separated from her sister..

ADS

Baylor

I would just let 4 yr old go on bus and drive behind. My son is taking his first big bus ride on thursday too!

gsdguenter

I wouldn't be okay anyone preschool-age or younger on a bus without a proper restraint.

In your case I would drive both kids and not worry about practicing for kindergarten.

When my DD1 was in preschool last year (4 yrs. old then) we bought her a STAR seat and now that she is in kindergarten (5yrs.), DD2 uses it (preschool - age 3). I wouldn't buy a seat for a field trip, I'd just transport with my car and worry about next year later.

Baylor

I thought about it a lot. I have learned a lot here and I am glad he is getting the experience. I use to think the same way, But with the class they will be getting direction about proper school bus behavior. I am more worried about him being on a trip away from me than the bus.

gsdguenter

The reason I'm not comfortable with it at that is age because compartmentalization doesn't actually benefit the child until they are school aged (not pre-school).

Yes, buses are safer statistically than cars, but not for little kids who can't benefit from the compartmentalization.

I can't think of the study, but buses are really safe for kids like age 6+. Maybe someone can link it.

Baylor

Well that works for me if that is true because my 4 yr old is the size of a 6 yr old. ;)

I still would send my child on a bus as long as I knew he was being watched. Or I would get someone else to watch 2 yr old and ride with my child on the bus.

agave

Last year I rode with my oldest on a field trip, it was just a few blocks and there was no direction from the teachers or the bus driver. Kids leaning into the isle and backwards in the seats and no one said a word. She will not be riding alone, we have lots of talking to do before September.

4boysmom

We are not allowed to have siblings on field trips with us so the sheer fact siblings can go is new to me. I could control my kids plus a small group of school kids but other parents would ignore their school age charges and thus have ruined it for everyone.
I would not make someone else responsible for my preschooler on the bus while you drove your toddler as their job is to watch the children who field trip this is for, not other siblings.

eta for clarification... is this a preschoolers trip or a trip with your 10yo that the whole family is attending? I assumed it was the 10 yo trip in my response

agave

I do not have a 10 year old. The field trip is for both kids. Are you looking at my siggy? My dog is 10 he is not going.

Kegracin

I think this time since the bus company is probably closed for the day. I would just drive them but if it comes up again I would call the bus company and see if they have Star harnesses that they can put on the bus.

agave

I think I'll just drive this time. I'll have at least one more chance to ride the bus when the kids are 3 1/2 and almost 5. I'd really like to go on at least one long bus trip before turning my kid loose on the yellow limo.

jmenole

I am having a similar debate in my head about my 4yo and a field trip on a bus. Problem for me is that our lovely state requires seat belts on the bus, but not shoulder/lap, so they are lap-only. :thumbsdown:, right?

Baylor

I am letting my son go. It is a big yellow bus, The teacher has been teaching them all week how to sit properly. I used to be petrified of this but not any more.

I want him to experience it with his friends.

shinaynay17

I am a school bus driver and I find that on chartered field trips with kids 4 and under the day care and preschool staff have great control over the kids. In a chartered field trip though bus drivers can only ask the teachers to control the kids. At least that's the way it is with my company.
On the other hand I have 18 kids under 5 on my bus out of 62 kids (not including my daughter). I have absolutely no problem with any child not sitting forwards with the legs in the isle.
A few bus drivers have asked for the 5 point harnesses for children on there bus but I personally recommend only having them in restraints until 3.
If my oldest was 4 she would be allowed on a bus and I would follow behind in my car. Ask the teacher to sit with them or have the conversation with your kid a few times before letting them on the bus and then ask afterwards how they did.

agave

I ended up letting my 4 yr old ride, and drove my 2 yr old. I told the teachers I wanted to know if her little but ever came disconnected with the seat. I also had a talk with her about how to sit on the bus. I got good reports back from the teachers. My 2 yr old didn't really care about the bus but threw a fit because she wanted to ride with her sister. Both kids rode home with me and we extended the field trip by an extra hour.

Baylor

My son did great too. I did not see him leave but when they arrived they were all sitting well and did not move until bus stopped and teacher let them off.

I'm glad yours did great too!!

auto correct hates me

cats2

Gosh I'm in a similar situation. My nearly 3 1/2 y/o twins' daycare has an optional field trip next week (prob 30 mile trip one way), on a regular yellow school bus. I don't feel comfortable with that idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC