Can we talk infant seats?

amanny

I've started babysitting for 3 different babies and realized I need a car seat.

I am within walking distance of just about everything, but with the weather turning cold that won't be feasible for long. I have to pick kids up from school, run to the grocery store, etc and need a seat.

LOs in my care are 7 mos, 12 mos, and soon to be a newb. (Never at the same time)

I would like something A) long lasting, B) Easy to adjust to different sizes, C) Easy to install since it won't stay in the car. Narrow would be another plus, but not a requirement since ODS can use a bubblebum.

A trusted friend has offered a Keyfit but how long will that last the average baby? Not sure on exact sizes, but they are average to small for their respective ages.

I've looked at the SR35 (super easy to install with the lock off), KF30 (extremely easy seat belt install as well), Shuttle 33 (never played with one), or the Via35 (haven't played with it either). Anything else I should look at?

ADS

Brianna

Since you're going to be re-installing anyways, can you just use a convertible? You'll be able to fit a much wider range of sizes in a no rethread convertible than in an infant carrier.

If you go the infant seat route then you'll still need another convertible to keep them rear facing until 2.

Another thought- if the newborn's parents will be using an infant carrier, can they just leave that with you? If this is the case it would definitely make sense to just buy a convertible seat for the older two.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
I have the Via35 and I love it. Its easy to install, a little on the wide side, and easy to use.

My daycare baby is done, so I have been trying to sell it. But around here where I live, nobody wants nice stuff. If it isn't old they won't buy it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Via might be a great choice in this situation. It's really easy to adjust the harness height, and it's tall enough to get most kids to 2, yet is relatively compact. The base is easy enough to install, but I wouldn't want to install it without the base with any kind of regularity. ETA: plus the base must be used after 22 lbs

As mentioned, a convertible might be a more practical option.

amanny

Thanks for the recs on the Via. I will have to look into it more.

The reason I want a bucket is because I find most of them easier to install. With cold weather quickly approaching I can bundle baby into the bucket, carry out the base along with bucket, set the bucket in one seat while I install the base, pop in and go. Also it will be easier to pick up ODS from school with baby in bucket versus baby in a convertible and having to bundle baby up for a quick run into the school, unbundle in the car, then again to go into the house. The errands will always be quick in and outs and thus make a bucket much easier.

lovemybabybug

I don't know how easy it is to install the shuttle but i would give that one a vote as long lasting. My almost 3 year old still has close to 2 inches left in it. I posted some pics on a thread here a few days ago. And it has no rethread harness.

Spam

The shuttle is very easy to install, the base is a lot like keyfits. It's also a lighter than the via, and very tall as well. It's narrow too. Easy to adjust harness heights, has the same base requirements as the via must be used with children over 22lbs.

krfogle88

How big the baby is and how their growth is will determine how long a seat will last. :) i have a kf30 and a snugride 35 will dd2. she is roughly still 14.5 lbs and about 26.75 inches (7.5 months) she also has a super short torso. we just moved her to the second slot of the kf30 and sr35. they will both get her to 18 months, no doubt. the sr35 could very well get her past 2. although i plan on moving her into convertibles at about 18 months so i get through all of winter and spring.

I have tried the shuttle 33 and thought it was a really nice bucket. i was about to squeeze dd1 in it at 3 with still over an inch to spare but like dd2 has a super short torso.

I love my snugride 35 as does my mom and grammy because its very user friendly. i also love the keyfit just as much because it fits dd2 so nicely but wont last as long as the sr35

jacqui276

I vote the via as well. I had one for DS and loved it. The base was very easy to install, it has a no-rethread harness and has a tall shell. I didn't find it too wide (17" at its widest point IIRC) and it worked well in a 3 across in my semi-small car. I sadly just sold my via since DS had almost outgrown it by height (huge baby with a long torso) and was getting way too heavy to haul around in it so I figured a convertible made sense.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC