What seat for 3 year old with low muscle tone?

emandbri

A friend of a friend needs a new seat. He is 3, 40 lbs and getting too tall for his seat either an Evenflo tribute or titian. I don't know if she wants to buy a radian for 5 lbs to rear-face him. I was thinking a my ride would be good since it is nice and reclined but wasn't sure if there was something else that would work with taller slots. I haven't played with the size4me yet.

Thanks!

ADS

Brianna

If he's just outgrowing a Tribute or Titan by height he would have a couple years of growth left in the MyRide. I don't think the S4M is as reclined as the MR but it might be worth the trade off for extra harness height.

gsdguenter

If she plans on ff then I'd go for a combination seat rather than a convertible. I don't want my 3 yr. old with hypotonia and dyspraxia ff yet, but she only weighs 34 lbs. and we have a bunch of erf seats so it's not an issue for us.

I realize a 3 yr. old is perfect safe ff, so I'd go for a Nauti or FR85, or SecureKid. Or, Proride.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, if she's not wanting to RF (which is the most supportive option) the MyRide is a good choice but a combination might be better. The SecureKid tends to be more upright and the Nauti can have head-slump issues; the Frontier or ProRide might be better choices. The Frontier installs more or less reclined depending on the vehicle seat, but is generally not too severely upright, and the ProRide is not quite as reclined but has really close-in supportive sides and padding. So either might work. I'd encourage trying out seats if possible before buying because what works for one kid won't for another, you know? Or in different vehicles, the fit can be different. Etc.

henrietta

If his hypotonia is moderate-severe, he spends a lot of time riding in the car, or he sleeps a lot, I would probably buy another convertible, b/c it will give him more support due to being more reclined forward facing than the combo seats. He will enjoy car rides more and be less exhausted overall. If he's not having to ride a lot and it's fairly mild, the Frontier and the Prosport are more supportive and recline more than the Graco and Evenflo combos.

I'd suggest checking out the True Fit, Diono Radian, Safety First Complete Air, and even the Evenflo Momentum or Triumph 65. These all have a decent recline forward facing, a pretty nice shape and support to them for his size and hypotonia, and pretty good leg support (the more the legs dangle, the more pull on the trunk muscles). If he's really severe, then the MyRide is great, but to me, I don't like it forward facing otherwise. I think many 3 yr olds will feel *too* reclined in it, even one who needs the support might get sick of laying back so far.

We used a foot prop for my son when he turned forward facing for a long time. He has had mild hypotonia due to prematurity and autism...and definite preferences for certain seats! ;)

luckyclov

I agree, whatever the seat ends up being, if the child is ffing, leg support is a big...well... support for low-toners. My DD has (mild) diffuse hypotonia and up until this past year (she's eight), we always had to provide some sort of LE support for her or she was miserable in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

MaKoski

I bought a RadianRXT when my DD hit 40lbs so I could RF her for 5 more pounds....it could be a year or 2 befor he gains those 5 lbs. : )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC