Graco handle can now be in any position!

ADS

zactayaus

So this is 100% true? I don't want to pass on misinformation to my co-workers and the parents I work with.

ETA: What is listserv?

thepote

It's the CPSPList on yahoogroups. Here is the text:

NEW - no need to worry about what position the handle needs to be in - parent's
choice!!

P.S. Yes it is retro-active too!!

Carol Helminski
Graco Children's Products Inc.
A Newell Rubbermaid Company

And

Sorry I forgot to mention - YES it is on our website -
Go to www.gracobaby.com
Click HELP CENTER and FAQ's
Click Car Seats (it will be on the snd page)

NEW - no need to worry about what position the handle needs to be in - parent's
choice!!

P.S. Yes it is retro-active too!!

Carol Helminski

HayleyCPST

Handle on Graco infant seats

Just got an email from the Safety Restraint Coalition.
It reads:

Dear Hayley,
Here you will find some breaking news that we felt it was important for you to recieve right away.
Please share this important information with your car seat colleagues.

Today Graco representative Carol Helminski announced an important change to their infant seat instructions that affects proper handle use on all Graco Infant Seats.

On today's CPS List Serve Carol announced, "Now, there is no need to worry about what position the handle needs to be in - it can be the parent's choice!!"

"And, best of all the change is retroactive too!!"

Carol Helminski

cahcarseat@aol.com

Very exciting news! As I can attest, it's been quite a challenge to remember which seats allow which positions when doing checks. Thank you Graco!

realornotreal

This is the FAQ information from the site and it does mention this does not apply to Canada.

"In what position am I required to have my infant car seat handle?

To make usage requirements simpler for caregivers, Graco is updating their in car handle usage requirements for all rear facing only CRs. Graco now allows the use of the handle in any locked position on Graco SnugRide 22, SnugRide 30, SnugRide 35 and the new SnugRide Click Connect 40. This change does not apply in Canada, where the handle must always be used locked in the upright position."

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Is it retro-active for all infant seats or just the infant seats that they listed above?

Joyofbirth

So glad to read this. I don't know how many times I moved the handle into position b which was not allowed to mess with baby and then forgot to switch it back and had to stop to fix it.

U

Unregistered

Graco snug ride handle position change

Looks like Graco changed their handle requirements on all snug rides to allow handle in ANY locked position. Saw it on the CPS site and confirmed at gracobaby.com.

Hope this isn't a repost, I looked but didn't see anything. And for some reason I can't find my login information lol... I'm a lurking member though :)

http://www.gracobaby.com/CustomerService/Pages/FAQ.aspx?page=FAQ

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I merged 3 separate threads into Judi's earliest thread here in Carseat Chat about this rather than have multiple/cross posted threads.;)

D&L's-mommy

this is great, I'm always nagging my BFF for leaving the handle up. (I was taught that ALL infant seats must have the handle low and behind the seat when in the car (it can break and impale the baby), I'm now finding out some seats actually require the handle to be up. )

crunchierthanthou

This makes me so happy. :D I may have squealed when carseatblog tweeted it yesterday. I always feel so nit-picky explaining which positions can be used, and see parents' eyes glaze over.

I'd expect it to apply to the SS1 and SR32, as they're essentially the same as the SR35. The only change was the name, right? The 20 lb SR wouldn't matter because they're all expired by now.

Ninetales

That's good to know. I usually like it up, but sometimes I move it out so I can wear the baby and forget to put it back. That makes me feel better that it's allowed.

kaharris83

I asked Graco CS about my 2007 SS1 and they said I need to follow the manual regarding the handle position. So in case anyone else has a SS1 laying around and they are wondering. :)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is this only in the US?

I have written confirmation from Graco that all 2012 compliant Canadian infant seats must have the handle up, but retroactively all older seats can have them left up too. :thumbsup:

I don't know enough history of infant seat manual rules to know what seats of what era this applies to, but that makes life easier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC