Starting to dislike RFing

kkcoconut

My son just turned 2 and I had planned to rf till at least 3. Every time we go in the car now he falls asleep. It's gotten to the point that I don't want to go out because I'm afraid he will fall asleep. He's always slept well at night but lately he's been horrible which is why he's so tired during the day. He's back on 2 naps a day but when we go out and he sleeps in the car he won't take his nap even tho he is tired. I took him to the dr to see if something is wrong with him on why he is sleeping so much and so poorly but she said he is perfectly healthy. We used my husbands car this weekend while my car was being serviced and he didn't fall asleep the whole time we were out. He was riding in a frontier 85. I feel like he is too comfortable RFing which is why he is always falling asleep. Would you turn him FFing for awhile to see if that helps or would you just deal with it?

ADS

amyd

At 2, I'd just deal with it honestly. If he were three, I might consider FFing full-time. That's got to be a pain, though. Can you try some fun stuff that's just for the car to try to keep him awake? An app or movie on your phone, special snack, etc?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I would just deal with it. If he is sleeping poorly at night, that would explain why he is sleepy and falling asleep in the car. He would very likely fall asleep ff as well.

NVMBR02

I'd totally just deal with it too.

I feel your pain though. My dd2 is 3 years, 1 month and I also hate RFing. She is just so dang tiny though that I would hate to turn her yet. We did have her FFing for a few days on vacation and it was soooo nice. I keep reminding myself that in the grand scheme of things another 11 months isn't that long of a time and she is so much safer being RFing.

kkcoconut

At 2, I'd just deal with it honestly. If he were three, I might consider FFing full-time. That's got to be a pain, though. Can you try some fun stuff that's just for the car to try to keep him awake? An app or movie on your phone, special snack, etc?

We did have a DVD player that attached to the headrest but I took it down because I was worried it would hurt him in an accident. He actually never fell asleep when we had that and started fallin asleep like this after I took it down.
Is it safe to use a DVD player that attaches to the headrest?

Baylor

Is this your first child? This is completely normal. Kids fall asleep where they do. If it is a big problem plan around the car but don't ff because of this. It won't help. He will still fall asleep.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I have a DVD player attached to the headrest for when we're in the car for long periods of time and I don't want DS to fall asleep. I made the parental decision to do so.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm wondering if he stayed awake just because it was new, different, exciting, etc. Once he got used to it, I'm thinking he'd fall asleep again.

kkcoconut

I'm wondering if he stayed awake just because it was new, different, exciting, etc. Once he got used to it, I'm thinking he'd fall asleep again.

It could be. We were also able to have conversations with him which is harder when RFing because I can't hear him.

soph's mom

Mommyto2 said:
I'd totally just deal with it too.

I feel your pain though. My dd2 is 3 years, 1 month and I also hate RFing. She is just so dang tiny though that I would hate to turn her yet. We did have her FFing for a few days on vacation and it was soooo nice. I keep reminding myself that in the grand scheme of things another 11 months isn't that long of a time and she is so much safer being RFing.

I had a couple days ff on vacation too and I have to say it is easier in a lot of ways but I have to keep telling myself she needs to stay rf longer. I bought a radian so I'll be less tempted to change her. DH is really starting to hate it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What you see as detriments, I see as benefits.

I wish my kid would sleep in the car and OMG, the back seat driving when my middle one turned FF! :ROTFLMAO:

I know that doesn't help, but I thought maybe if you saw the humour it might make you feel better. :D

amyd

TechnoGranola said:
What you see as detriments, I see as benefits.

I wish my kid would sleep in the car and OMG, the back seat driving when my middle one turned FF! :ROTFLMAO:

I know that doesn't help, but I thought maybe if you saw the humour it might make you feel better. :D

I know. I totally threaten to turn my DS around when he's driving me nuts with the backseat driving (he's outgrown his seat RFing but he doesn't know that!).

jacqui276

I honestly don't think that FFing would help a ton. My daughter, niece and nephew all still fell asleep just as much FFing in vehicles as they did RFing. If they're tired, they're tired. Are there soft toys that you can have in the car for him to keep him occupied that won't injure him in an accident?
How heavy of a sleeper is he? DD used to always fall asleep in the car, but I could easily carry her in to then put her down for a nap. No such luck with DS so far as he wakes up as soon as the car stops.

Little Ps Mama

tanyaandallie said:
I would just deal with it. If he is sleeping poorly at night, that would explain why he is sleepy and falling asleep in the car. He would very likely fall asleep ff as well.

All of this. I'm willing to bet it was the newness of FF that kept him awake when he rose that way and once the novelty wore off he'd fall asleep FF too.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
DD is 6 and 3 quarters, boostered, and sleeps in the car probably 5 times a week. Doesn't matter if we're in the car an hour, or 10 minutes.

So, I guess I'm trying to say that sometimes it's the kid ;)

Kobain's Mommy

I had a couple days ff on vacation too and I have to say it is easier in a lot of ways but I have to keep telling myself she needs to stay rf longer. I bought a radian so I'll be less tempted to change her. DH is really starting to hate it.

THIS! DS turned 2 in May and when we were in TX on a family emergency there was a couple times DS had to be FFing in MIL's car. It was easier having him that way, but I keep telling myself that he's safer RFing in my van. He's still in a MA70. His legs keep sprouting and he's got a sort torso.

We did have a DVD player that attached to the headrest but I took it down because I was worried it would hurt him in an accident. He actually never fell asleep when we had that and started fallin asleep like this after I took it down.
Is it safe to use a DVD player that attaches to the headrest?

I see you have a Radian? Do you have it RFing TTed? In my van we have the dual dvd player for my RFing kids. Both kids are in seats that RF TT so I have them like that. I installed the DVD player/ second monitor backwards on their seats with the flimzy strap. I then got some good sized/thickness zip ties from the local farming store for reinforcement going opposite of the strap. I feel comfortable with that set up. They are less likely to fly off the head rests with the zip ties, and my kids are less likely to rebound with the RFing TT.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC