Question Chicco Key Fit 30 vs SR30 in compact cars

realornotreal

Hello! I'm kinda new, kinda not around here. I used to hang out on this board years ago (like 10-12) when my oldest 2 children were born. Now, we have the unexpected, yet happy joy to have baby #3 on the way, due in February.

Several months ago, DH and I traded in our old cars (he a 01' problem ridden Windstar and me a '94 Cavalier) for 2 newer vehicles. Jon now drives a Chevy Cobalt (07) and I am in a Ford Focus (08). So, needless to say, squeezing 5 people in what are essentially compact cars is not going to be an easy task. (Kayla and Josh have passed the 5 step test in both vehicles and are riding with seat belts only.)

Looking at seats (boy how some things have changed in 10 years!), we have been eyeing the Chicco Keyfit30 and the SR30, and wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with either of these seats in either the Focus or the Cobalt or something similarly sized.

DH isn't thrilled at the price for the Keyfit, especially since we'll need an extra base, but he seems willing to accept it, if we'll get the better fit from it.

Any thoughts?? Thanks so much for your time!

PS if you have a different suggestion for a seat we should take a look at, please don't hesitate to share!

ADS

Jessica61624

Congrats on baby #3! The keyfit fits nicely in small cars. My friend has a snugride 30 and its not much taller. Both allow for the handle to be up so they don't take up extra space with that. Just FYI babies r us is having a sale until 10/9. Get $30 off $175+ purchase. That'd make the kf about $150. Another option is using a convertible from and saving money if that's important to you.

realornotreal

Thanks so much for the information so far and the well wishes! And thanks Phineasmama for the suggestion on the Cybex Aton, I'm doing some research on it now. I showed DH and his only reaction so far was to sputter at the price. :( Going to keep looking into it though.

If anyone else has any other thoughts/suggestions on an infant seat for a compact car (Focus & Cobalt) I'd love to hear them as well!

Phineasmama

Does it have to be an infant seat? I do like them and think they're convenient, but if you're on a limited budget you might be better served by just getting a convertible for each car and using them from birth. They will often take up LESS room than an infant seat.

realornotreal

Does it have to be an infant seat? I do like them and think they're convenient, but if you're on a limited budget you might be better served by just getting a convertible for each car and using them from birth. They will often take up LESS room than an infant seat.

We had thought about just using a convertible, but both DH and I prefer to have the convenience of the bucket seat for at least a few months. Both Kayla and Josh were out of their seats by 8 months and into convertibles, but we enjoyed the infant seat mode while it lasted.

I really miss Josh's seat, he had the FIP Stay in View for him and I LOVED that seat. Narrow and so nice to carry.

Phineasmama

Well...I ordered my Aton at BuyBuyBaby in the store (but they placed the order online) and used a 20% off coupon and only ended up paying $170, and then I sold it on here for like $110 I think? when I was done using it :) I would have kept it but we are NOT having any more babies 100% for sure now haha.

lovemybabybug

I have a Pontiac Sunfire which I consider small and pretty much any seat fits nicely (besides the radian). I had a sr32 and it fit great. Do you have a big babiesrus nearby? If sk check out tbe clearance section. I just went to the big one around here and they had TEN infant buckets in the clearance section that were on line returns and all great price. They had a sr30 for $99, a prodigy for $100, a keyfit for $149 and a bunch more.

rosey2007

I have installed a Snugride 35 into my 2003 kia spectra and it fit great. I loved that the seat lasted until my ds#2 was around 14 months old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC