Tether Prosport in booster mode?

bnsnyde

Does one tether the Prosport in booster mode? My manual is outdated.
We can latch, right? (I like that so the seat isn't a projectile).
But is it safer to tether a booster or not? Don't I want the seat to follow my child's head in a crash and not be tethered as a booster? Or...what's best?

In harness mode we always tethered no matter what. He just outgrew the harness.

I spent a long time looking for the manual which was not in my carseat pile, only to find it on the seat itself! :) But outdated.

ADS

Nisha

How would your manual be out of date? I've kind of been out of the CPS loop lately but have a pro sport that we will be using in booster mode in about 6-8 mos so this would be good to know!

bnsnyde

They made some retroactive changes. I can't call the company on the weekend and I figured somebody here might know. :)

I'm basically curious if it's safer to tether or not tether it as a booster (if both are allowed).

My manual says NEVER use lower latch in booster mode but I heard that changed, for example. And now I'm curious about what's best to do with the tether.

Last edited:

Nisha

I believe my manual says the same so I will be interested in what the answer is! I don't have latch in either of our vehicles right now so was intending to tether it.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, according to the SBS USA summaries, it can be tethered in booster mode. They always check with the manufacturer for the latest updates before pubbing the summaries so you know it's accurate.

TiaxMarie

I was just reading the ProSport manual a coupl weeks ago. I'm pretty sure you can tether it in booster mode, but I think there was something saying only up to 52lbs.

I'll look again in a minute.

Nevermind, according to the manual on their website, I didn't see any weight limit for using the tether or lower anchors in booster mode.

http://www.recaro-cs.com/us/service/manuals.html

jjordan

I have a Prosport that we are still using in harness mode. BUT when I use it in booster mode, I am planning to use lower anchors and not the top tether. For whatever that is worth! In my own mind, it feels better to have the top of the seat able to move with the child and keep those head wings around the head. Of course it could be that the top tether helps in reducing chest loading (by keeping the mass of the seat from pushing the child's upper body more tightly against the shoulder belt). I don't really think the top tether would reduce head excursion much if at all while in booster mode (since it will be the seatbelt holding the upper body back regardless), but again, I could be wrong. It might be that the extra weight of the (untethered) seat, resulting in more force against the seatbelt, would make the belt stretch more and therefore increase head excursion.

I guess I'm really no help. :)

bnsnyde

Maybe I'll unhook the tether. I like the idea of the headwings staying with the child's head. But I'm trying to theorize too and I don't have enough information about benefits, if any, of tethering in booster mode.

I will say the fit in booster mode is incredible. Better than the Oobr plus his whole side is totally covered with the wings (though I know it's a short booster and won't fit him for years and years).

Nisha

I have a Prosport that we are still using in harness mode. BUT when I use it in booster mode, I am planning to use lower anchors and not the top tether. For whatever that is worth! In my own mind, it feels better to have the top of the seat able to move with the child and keep those head wings around the head. Of course it could be that the top tether helps in reducing chest loading (by keeping the mass of the seat from pushing the child's upper body more tightly against the shoulder belt). I don't really think the top tether would reduce head excursion much if at all while in booster mode (since it will be the seatbelt holding the upper body back regardless), but again, I could be wrong. It might be that the extra weight of the (untethered) seat, resulting in more force against the seatbelt, would make the belt stretch more and therefore increase head excursion.

I guess I'm really no help. :)

What would you do if you only had top tethers and no lower anchors? (like in my situation!) In my mind, with a seat that heavy, I wouldn't want to use it as a booster at all without something extra holding it in, but I haven't read a lot of research on the possible dangers of tethering a booster.

jjordan

What would you do if you only had top tethers and no lower anchors? (like in my situation!) In my mind, with a seat that heavy, I wouldn't want to use it as a booster at all without something extra holding it in, but I haven't read a lot of research on the possible dangers of tethering a booster.

Before I found out that it could be LATCHed in, I was planning to only use it harnessed. It makes me nervous to think of using a booster that heavy without LATCH.

ETA: although I have no data backing up this decision, it's purely based on speculation.

abbi_n_nadia

I just found this thread and thought it was very interesting. Does anyone out there have anything else to add about using the top tether in booster mode?

We have a FR85 in booster mode for dd1 who is almost 6yo. We have it latched and tethered currently. Are there any crash test videos of latched boosters? or tethered boosters?

bnsnyde

I don't know if this is helpful, but I called Recaro and they said everybody has different opinions about tethering or not in booster mode. Well, OK. They said generally they don't say to top tether in booster mode. And really, most boosters don't have that option at all.

For us, I did not top tether (in booster mode). It seems the seat will move with the child better, making use of the awesome headwings.

girls2sweet

Can I jump in with a question? :eek: I am researching boosters, as I will be in the market for one next year (can't start too early, right?!). I have a new Recaro ProRide for DD2. DD1 is about to need a new seat. I love my Britax Boulevard that is expiring next year, and swore I'd only get Britax, but I got a deal on the Recaro for DD2 and I'm very impressed with the side protection and how solid the seat feels.

DD1 will be needing a harnessed booster, and I'm either going to get a FR85 SICT or a ProSport. I would jump onboard with the Recaro except for one thing - the height issue. DD1 is tall and I want this to be the last seat I buy - and want her to stay in a 5pt harness as long as possible. It looks like the FR85 would be the seat I should get for that, but I just hate that it lacks in the side protection. It doesn't look nearly as deep on the head, torso and thighs as the PS.

Do you think Recaro will ever increase the height of the ProSport? I've heard so many people say that they wished it would be taller, and that's one reason so many buy FR85 over the PS. Doesn't Recaro care that their main competitor has such an edge over them in this area??!!!

Since I am still considering both, which has the best booster mode (without harness) on the two seats? If I choose the PS, I will have to unharness her sooner, so that's an important question to me. I do like the anti-submarine feature that the FR85 offers, but other than that, I'd rather have the Recaro if it weren't so darn short.

Phineasmama

"Most people" put their 4 year olds in belt positioning boosters. Heck I've seen many a 2 year old in a low back Disney princess booster. So most people don't buy for extended harnessing and there is really no big drive for other companies to make seats taller. At least how I see it.

If you're really concerned with side impact protection you could always get a Frontier SICT though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC