what are YOUR minimums?

ADS

Brianna

After J turned 2 I was ok FF him in my car if I didn't have reasonable access to a seat he still fit RF in. He turned FF full time at 3 when he outgrew his Triumph rear facing. Boostering will depend on his maturity level.

I have transported a friend's 2 year old FF in my car and her 5 year old in a HBB.

lovemy2kidstw

For RF it was until 2 or when the seat was outgrown. Unfortunately I have a torso monster so he made it to 22 months RF. DD is 3.5 41+ inches & 40+ lbs and occasionally rides in a hbb for short trips. She sits perfectly& everything fits great. I probably wouldn't be comfortable transporting another kid her age in a hbb, because I wouldn't know if they would stay in position or not. As for a lbb, I'm not sure yet, I will say 5 for occasional use.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I rear-face to 4, unless the child has outgrown all legal options, and longer if the child doesn't mind. I am very uncomfortable forward-facing under age 3, and would consider importing at that age.

I begin booster training around age 5/kindergarten, and will allow kids to move to boosters full-time as soon as they are ready, usually between age 5 and 6, although they tend to occasionally harness after that if it makes my vehicle setup easier.

I prefer HBB until outgrown, but am okay with very occasional backless booster use starting around age 6. At age 8 or so, if the child is feeling self-conscious/peer-pressure about booster usage, I am willing to let them go backless, but we still use HBB on trips where they might sleep.

I booster until the seatbelt fit is better without the booster than with, although I have allowed occasional, short trips at the lower edge of 5-stepping (for kids over age 8 or 9.)

kirsty

My minimum rf is 2 I turned my neice around at 2 but she is rf again now after there has been lots of accidents around were I live. I'm fine with boostering at 4 on short trips, I started taking my friends son to school when he turned 4 and he did really well in the booster although on longer rides I did put him in a harnessed seat now at 5 he rides full time in a hbb he sits better than the older kids I look after.
I don't put kids in lbb till there at least 8 full time although will do from 6 if that's the only way to fit them in the car but try my hardest to keep them in hbb and then I keep them in booster till they 5 step or though I don't think that will happen with my 11 year old neice as she is only 4.6 and I have said I will consider taking her out of lbb at 12 but we shall see.

carseatfreak

I haven't decided my minimum for rf yet. My two youngest are 2 1/2 and both 24 lbs And 34, 35 inches tall and all legs (kind of a dream to rf). They are so happy rf'ing and love being able to chat with big sis in the back of the van. Dh and I are content and in no hurry for them to ff.

Big sister, 8 1/2, was ff'ing at 15 months (20 lbs) :-( . She was ff harnessed until she was 6. We allowed hbb 2 blocks to her school and down the road to grandmas at 5 (kindergarten). She still rides boostered....goes between hb turbo and nb amp. She prefers hb so I am hopeful the fix for the Monterey belt guide will work and she can go back to that. We allowed nbb on certain occasions during her 7th year.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
4 for rf, will use an import if all legal seats are outgrown before 3 or so (but ok in other cars with ff at 3.) 5.5 for part time booster training; 6.5 or so before considering full-time use. High back until outgrown in primary car, but ok with backless for travel/occasional use by 6; will buy a taller seat if available if back is outgrown before 8 for primary car. Booster until five step test is passed.

thepote

ketchupqueen said:
4 for rf, will use an import if all legal seats are outgrown before 3 or so (but ok in other cars with ff at 3.) 5.5 for part time booster training; 6.5 or so before considering full-time use. High back until outgrown in primary car, but ok with backless for travel/occasional use by 6; will buy a taller seat if available if back is outgrown before 8 for primary car. Booster until five step test is passed.

Pretty much this as well. I bought a RN when Ds3 was almost 3 so I could continue to RF him until the week he turned 4.

kater-tot82

Minimum for RF is 2; personal goal is 3.

Minimum for high back booster is 5yo; full time I would like to see 6.

Minimum for backless booster is 6.

Booster til passes 5 step test (my 9.5yo is still in one).

Baylor

2 for ffing
And for hbb it depends on kid and car and

One kid I did not put in hbb til 6. But then he went to Lbb for school ride.

This child I have now has ridden in a hbb since 4 but still has a fr85 as main car seat. He is the size of a 6 yr old. He sits well and obeys.

I think it depends on kid when it comes to hbb and lbb

NVMBR02

3 for FFing
5 for a HBB, provided the child fts well and is mature enough for booster use.
8 for LLB, same as above.
Booster until child passes the 5-step test.

ElfJewel

FF- 3 for part time/grandma, 4 for full time, but if they still fit and don't mind RF/the seats don't fit FF we keep them RF longer (I's seats don't fit FF so he is RF in our cars)

HBB- we start booster training around 4.5 as long as they meet the minimum for the seat. Ian will be 5 in Jan and started booster training this summer for short trips. 6 or 7 for full time use (but again they don't fit in our cars so J is harnessed)

NBB- part time 6... J got a literider for her bday... doesn't use it often but it's nice to have if she needs it. Full time when they outgrow the back or the back makes the seat very hard to use... somewhere between 7-9

seatbelt- when all reasonable booster options have been tried and don't make the fit better... M is starting to 5 step in both of DH's cars, in his saturn there are no headrests so we let her sit without a booster (one 10 min ride/wk), but in his expedition we got a new seat to give her a little more time in a booster... we let my brother stop using a booster when he turned 12

Ninetales

I have big kids, so for me my FF minimum is the RF limit of the seat. So for us, 45 lbs in the main car, 40 lbs in secondary or backups.

I don't have booster age riders yet but my minimum would be 6 or outgrowing the highest harness limits.

Seatbelt minimum is 12 or outgrowing a NBB.

lanwenyi

I rear-face to 4, unless the child has outgrown all legal options, and longer if the child doesn't mind. I am very uncomfortable forward-facing under age 3, and would consider importing at that age.

I begin booster training around age 5/kindergarten, and will allow kids to move to boosters full-time as soon as they are ready, usually between age 5 and 6, although they tend to occasionally harness after that if it makes my vehicle setup easier.

I prefer HBB until outgrown, but am okay with very occasional backless booster use starting around age 6. At age 8 or so, if the child is feeling self-conscious/peer-pressure about booster usage, I am willing to let them go backless, but we still use HBB on trips where they might sleep.

I booster until the seatbelt fit is better without the booster than with, although I have allowed occasional, short trips at the lower edge of 5-stepping (for kids over age 8 or 9.)
:yeahthat:

This is me, virtually verbatim. My only changes are that I will allow the occasional FFing ride if needed for the vehicle at 3.5 and 30lbs (younger than that and we just won't use that vehicle) and that I haven't ever allowed no booster without full 5-stepping, but my own kids are far below that, so that might change as they get older.

tam_shops

What great timing for this thread, thanks.

I just lost my seats in a crash and am struggling with what to replace them with. My oldest RF to the max of his MA, then I FF him, but shortly after won a 45#RN where he RF (by choice) until almost 6yo. So, when I say I ERF to max of seat I've always meant it. However, when you know they are less than a year from maxing out their seats, to buy a new one to max it out when a different seat might be better, it really causes me to pause...That and expensive purchases that can't be returned! LOL At any rate, my 3 1/2yo now FF b/c he maxed out the weight of the RN I borrowed, has been a constant car screamer and has yet to scream while FF. My 6 3/4yo is so happy when I let him ride in the HBB or NBB. Which I first did b/c it was the only seat I had and then he broke his arm.

RF my car max of seat
d/c 2yo which is also the legal limits of the cheaper seats here (by height), so to ask someone to break the law or buy a $300 seat for one day a week isn't reasonable. But, I sure wasn't happy about it!

FF height/weight of Maestro so 7yo

Booster
My car 7yo
Occasional/emergency 40# and 6yo.
Other kids in my car 40# and 4yo.

tam

SignCuer

RF to the max of the seat... minimum is 4 or my preference, Kindergarten age. I will not go under that limit, and even import if needed. N is 5 and still RFing in Size4Me and Radian. He prefers RFing and I will keep him RFing until he outgrows it. Very long and lean so it will be a while. He has a Nauti for backups but he absolutely refuse to ride in it.

FF after 6 and until booster maturity. Probably will harness for long trips until 7ish. Depends on maturity. N is nowhere near that booster maturity. I think he will be harnessed until 7. (emotional maturity is 2-3 years old l)

Booster until 5 step test, HBB until HBB is outgrown then transfer to LBB. I may consider LBB for other cars around 9-10 but we'll see.

This applies to all cars unless it's 100% impossible to do so, then I will make accommodations for that car but otherwise, non-negotiable.

N is RFing in all cars (my mom's, my babysitters) and will remain that way until he outgrows.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Apparently, I'm okay with FFing at 4.75, since I just let ds turn around. He's tiny, and could probably RF for another year or even more in his CA but.. he wanted to face forward. So he faces forward now. His sister was already booster training by 4.5 , but she was a different kid. She was in a booster full time at 6, backless at 7. I think alex will FF harness until at least 6, at which point he might be as big as an average 4 yo, and might get to booster. LOL.

rachelandtyke

My kids don't turn ffing until they reach 35 lbs (which is the rfing max on any of our seats). DD was past 4 at that point. DS will be 4 or more as well.

DD started booster training at 6 1/2 and was full time in her booster by 7. She still fits in her TF, but has the maturity to sit well in her booster and buckle herself. She is just now 40 lbs.

I will probably not consider boostering DS until at least 6, and then it will depend on his maturity level. If he's not ready, I know he can stay in the TF until at least 7 (he's smaller than DD was at every age so far).

DD can move into a lbb when she outgrows the hbb boosters we have.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC