Question Did I Miss This? Monterey Belt Guides

carseatfreak

I haven't been on here much lately but I happened to see a response in a post today that they have changed the belt guide again on the monterey? Is this true? We have one of the late design SK Montereys with the open belt guide. We could not keep the belt in the belt guide for anything and the belt out of the guide was an awful fit in my daughter...so the Monterey sat in my get rid of pile... I heard someone say they changed it to a more closed guide and would send a replacement headrest with the new belt guide. Is this true? Will they replace the sk ones too? We really need this seat as dd is on last click of turbo and prefers the Monterey.

Thanks!

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a Monterey (SK) and I can never get the belt OUT of the guide! I am baffled by the complaints I have heard about how easy the belt comes out! My Monterey is 3ish yrs old...bought from a good friend and member here.

carseatfreak

I bought mine right when they came out with the Diono name. People had posted pics for me of the earlier ones and they look nothing like mine... :-( would have loved to have that belt guide.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I have both a SK Monterey with the old guide and a newer Diono Monterey with the new guide( it's closed more). I've been having issues with the new guide not my original SK seat. The problems with my new seat are that the seatbelt falls out of the guide each and every time we buckle. And in one vehicle it won't slide freely. So I put it aside. I finally called Diono( I'm in Canada btw) and they are sending me a new back. I have to send the Diono back UPS to them( they are paying). So I am anxious to see what this new guide looks like.

carseatfreak

Mingie said:
I have both a SK Monterey with the old guide and a newer Diono Monterey with the new guide( it's closed more). I've been having issues with the new guide not my original SK seat. The problems with my new seat are that the seatbelt falls out of the guide each and every time we buckle. And in one vehicle it won't slide freely. So I put it aside. I finally called Diono( I'm in Canada btw) and they are sending me a new back. I have to send the Diono back UPS to them( they are paying). So I am anxious to see what this new guide looks like.

My model of Sk has the same belt guide as the original diono guide (probably just like yours). I have called them about it before and they told me to lock the belt but that did not help (months ago?. Think I will be calling them again....

Mingie

CPST Instructor
carseatfreak said:
My model of Sk has the same belt guide as the original diono guide (probably just like yours). I have called them about it before and they told me to lock the belt but that did not help (months ago?. Think I will be calling them again....

I just spoke to them two days ago. I'm really hoping this helps. I love my original SK Monterey. But the new guides are not working in either vehicle. I would call back. I'll update when I get the new back.

tam_shops

Yep, I phoned and told them the problem and they sent me a new one.

I had one of the last SKJP ones. Phoned asking for a new back a few days before the seat was crashed! It arrived and I had no seats left, passed it along to a friend. It was pretty funny, as I'd waited ALL summer to call and just hadn't gotten around to it...

tam

Mingie

CPST Instructor
So the courier just dropped off the new headrest. I will post pictures later as I'm waiting for my phone to charge. It is just a headrest, not a full back they have replaced. My problem is that I can't figure out how to take the headrest out of the Monterey to put the new one in! :eek: I have left a message hoping they can guide me. I am also hoping I do not have to unscrew the back of the booster to do this!! Anyone have an idea how to do this??? JK I guess. ;)

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Here are the three different guides. The first one is the SK Monterey, the second is the Diono Monterey and the final picture is the new headrest that I have yet to figure out how to install.

Attachments

• image-2856710568.jpg
    image-2856710568.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1426173061.jpg
    image-1426173061.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3964862852.jpg
    image-3964862852.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 106

ginny4

ooooo that new one looks real good! Hope it works out after you figure out how to replace the headrest. sorry i'm of no use, i haven't a clue. Good Luck

tiggercat

Mingie said:

They sent you a new one?? Who did you talk to? I have two Diono paperweights in my basement because they don't work with my headrests in the 2nd row, and the belt guide doesn't retract in the 3rd row!
It looks like the new one is a SSK style guide in a Diono style placement on the headrest...

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Mingie

CPST Instructor
tiggercat said:
They sent you a new one?? Who did you talk to? I have two Diono paperweights in my basement because they don't work with my headrests in the 2nd row, and the belt guide doesn't retract in the 3rd row!
It looks like the new one is a SSK style guide in a Diono style placement on the headrest...

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Yes they sent a new headrest. I spoke to Patti just recently. I hope it works for us. I just can't figure out how to get the old one out to put this new one on!

Brycen'sMommy

I'm super excited about this! I had a horrible time with our Diono belt guide and ended up getting rid of it because Diono said they didn't have plans to fix it. I loved the Monterey other than the belt guide problem so I might just be buying another one now.

tam_shops

They sent me a new one also. I also got instructions with mine. LMK if you want me to take a picture of them or something for you. It's still sitting downstairs, have yet to get around to passing it onto a friend of mine w/ an un-crashed Monterey! LOL

tam

Mingie

CPST Instructor
tam_shops said:
They sent me a new one also. I also got instructions with mine. LMK if you want me to take a picture of them or something for you. It's still sitting downstairs, have yet to get around to passing it onto a friend of mine w/ an un-crashed Monterey! LOL

tam

It's all good. I finally heard back and was emailed the instructions. Who knew you needed a long flat ruler to be able to disassemble the thing. So far it's working well.

Jessica61624

Mingie said:
Here are the three different guides. The first one is the SK Monterey, the second is the Diono Monterey and the final picture is the new headrest that I have yet to figure out how to install.

It looks like its positioned similar to the old Monterey.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I'll take pictures of DD#1 in it later this weekend. She is almost 7, 50lbs. The shoulder belt isn't quite as nice as it was before but we only had a quick trip in it.

mama2girls

Has anyone in the States gotten Diono to replace their headrest? I have the middle picture belt guides and my seatbelts will not retract at all in the third row, so I haven't been using the seat. I was planning to sell it, but if I could get a different guide it may work for us again. Anyone tried to get a new one?

Mingie

CPST Instructor
So I think the shoulder belt fit is a bit iffy. Looking at the photo I think the headrest should go up a notch which may help things. I like the fit of her original SK Monterey better than this new guide/headrest. Sorry for the goofy grin. She wasn't into posing for pictures!

Attachments

• image-4004523593.jpg
    image-4004523593.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 105

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC