My dd rode home from a friends house in NO car seat!/Booster rec's

keri1292

So, I want a booster seat to leave at playdates with dd, just in case. Price isn't an issue (because with her size we will be using it until the expiration!) and I trust dd to use it correctly. Her stats are in my siggy. She is very petite and I can't believe that she rode home in an adult belt.
I like the Compass with the folding feature but, it doesn't seem too impressive in the side impact department. I will only allow it for trips around the neighborhood anyway. Anything farther and I'll be installing the Husky in their vehicle. What would you recommend for us?

Last edited:
ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
While we all love the Britax Parkway. For a situation like this a Graco Turbobooster or the Compass would be a good option. I know you said money isn't an issue. But, You also don't want a $100 booster sitting the closet not be used. If it was her everyday seat I would say Parkway/Monarch all the way.

Jordynsmama

Yeah I dont trust anyone-even the most highly educated....people just do not get it.
They think....but she is 7! or even she is 5! They dont still need carseats or anything...like its the stupidest thing they heard of and they shake their head and tsk tsk me like I am foolish.
My nanny kid is 9 and he si only 47 lbs and 47" so he is in a bb in my car. His friends mom saw him in the car and was like "you are still in a booster???? I said"yeah he is still very short and light" but she just had this look like but he is 9!
So once they hit a certain age it just isn't something most people find necessary. Its a baby-preschool thing.
But yeah I know ppl love the compass or the air booster. We love our PW but it is expensive.

InTheWoods

We have a Compass B510 for DS and I'm not in love with it. It's wide for him, a little too much swimming room, IYKWIM -- seems like I can fit one and a half of him in there. I like something more snug fitting.

On the rec of a mom in another thread, I ordred the Fisher-Price Safe Voyage booster seat for $40 at Albee Baby, http://albeebaby.com/fiprsavoboca.html , as a back-up/carpool booster for DS/friends. Looks pretty nice and can't beat the price.

Kristin

Morganthe

On the rec of a mom in another thread, I ordred the Fisher-Price Safe Voyage booster seat for $40 at Albee Baby, http://albeebaby.com/fiprsavoboca.html , as a back-up/carpool booster for DS/friends. Looks pretty nice and can't beat the price.

Thanks :) I knew that FP made a harnessed version of a Britax seat, but not a booster model of the Parkway. I'll eventually look into that when/if dd needs quick portable seats after we move (minimum 18 months from now, so there's time).

To the OP -- since your daughter is extremely slender, avoid the Compass. It's just too wide inside. You probably won't like the fit.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The FP Safe Voyage belt positioning booster, while nice, isn't based on the Parkway, and it has a shorter back than the Parkway. Just something to keep in mind, especially for taller or long torsoed kiddos. It's more similar to the Britax Star Riser Comfy booster than the Parkway, and the FP booster also converts to a lowback booster, unlike the Parkway. I posted side by side photos of the FP booster and Parkway in another thread, let me see if I can link to it. Alrighty, here's the thread :): http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=23033

keri1292

Thanks everyone. I'm going to check our Burlington to see if they have any good deals on the FP. If not, I'll probably go with the PW. It seems like it would fit her better than the Compass.
Which boosters have the wings that wrap around their midsection. Am I thinking of the Jane Indy? That just seems much safer to me. Thanks again!
Also, the same little girl is coming over today and we're going to the childrens museum. I'm going to tell Mom that I can't take her without a booster. :thumbsdown:

EDIT: Duh, I just saw the side view of the PW and those wings look like they'd cover the torso great! Tubos don't have that, do they?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
EDIT: Duh, I just saw the side view of the PW and those wings look like they'd cover the torso great! Tubos don't have that, do they?

The Turbo kind of does... but they don't stick out very far, and I haven't had a chance to see a PW IRL so I'm not sure how they compare. Our Air Booster has them, too, though, and they seem to stick out a lot farther than the Turbo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC