Buy a used vehicle...

MomtoLE

DH and I are on Dave Ramsey's "get-out-of-debt" plan and have determined that our lovely 2003 Odyssey EXL and its monthly payment need to be gone! Very bittersweet.

Anyway....we're going to need a vehicle that can potentially carry three carseats, one of them being a Regent.

DH is looking at used Caravans because it's a minivan and we wouldn't have to squeeze 3 across the back. He wants to stay newer because of LATCH, but I think I could eventually get him to let that go if I knew a vehicle was car seat friendly.

What's are safe older vehicles? What should I be looking for in the way of car seat compatibility?

Any recommendations, tips or tricks?

Our budget is $5,000.

ADS

Erika Ruth

I LOVE my new to me Chrysler Town and Country (98). worth about $3,500

We are saving up to buy a house, so we are also on a budget, that will not allow a car payment!

But, it isn't the safest, according to the ratings. It has Gen3 belts, and the front crumple zone includes your legs!

However, I love everything else about the car. It is the "top of the line" caravan.

You'll find a car, and know it when you see it. Craigs List is a good place to look. Also, smaller auto repair shops will know of cars with good histories with owners looking to upgrade.

Good luck! And, I wish you the best with your budget!

Erika

keri1292

I found several Caravans in our price range, but we ultimately decided to eliminate them based on the Gen 3 belts that they use...
http://www.seatbeltdefects.com/gen3/index.html
We love our $3,900 '99 Ford Windstar. It was really the only choice for our budget and our safety desires. It's a dream for car seats, has a tether on every seat and only the center 3rd row seat is unusable. It has a tiny headrest and is lapbelt only. It's fine for a car seat though.
I did all my research here...
http://www.safercar.gov/
and here...
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
before we even went to look at any vehicle.
HTH! And have fun shopping!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I started to post that a car like ours might work for you (I know you said you'd prefer a van, but our car has the other features you're looking for). But then I looked it up and apparently it's worth more than I realized. :p It's an '01 VW Golf. It has LATCH (yes, before it was required!), side impact airbags, and has excellent crash-test ratings. 3-across with a Regent is unlikely, though, and according to edmunds it's worth more than your 5K budget. :(

Anyway, then I got to thinking that something like my parent's car would work for you (Buick Century). They're considered "grandma" cars, I know (and I certainly felt a bit weird when I borrowed my parents' to drive to Canada!) but I do love installing carseats in it. The back seat is ROOMY! I don't know for sure if you could manage 3-across with a Regent, but it wouldn't suprise me if you could. It also gets pretty good gas mileage (30mpg highway). And some models, like the Ford Taurus, are very readily available and often cheaper than minivans of the same year.

So, just offering some suggestions & things to look into! Congratulations on deciding to get out of debt, and have fun finding a good-as-new car. :)

Tiffanie

I too have a '99 Windstar and love it. Mine is just as Keri1292 described, tether anchors on all seats. Very roomy, even behind me and since I have a 36" inseam you can imagine how far back I have to have my seat :D DH was trying to talk me into an Escalade they just took in on his lot (he's a Ford salesman) but I refused...I can't give up my power sliding doors...no way no how :ROTFLMAO: I got mine at wholesale too so I know what I paid is half of what it's worth but they are still within your price range.

beeman

:2thumbsup: for giving up the car debt. Well one advantage with only two kids is that you don't need a van. I'm not too sure about crash rating's on them, but my mom has a 96 ford crown victoria. It's a big boat, but rides nice, has room, and gets 30mpg (and it's the same car cops use. It looks like a ghost car :D ) The tethor anchors aren't factory in older vehicles, (don't quote me on this), but I believe ford installs them free of charge (look into that before buying). On whatever you choose, take it to a mechanic you trust to have an inspection before you buy. It could save you expensive repairs later on.

I have a friend who's into this big make lots of money quick scheme, and he listens to Dave Ramsey quite often on his XM. Vehicle interest is the highest to pay, because not only are you paying the interest on the car loan, but you're vehicle is also depreciating. Good luck on cleaning up you're debt.

southpawboston

i'm a big fan of late 90s volvo V70s (1998-2000, specifically)... nice big wagon that is still very safe even by 2007 standards. performs excellent in frontal, offset frontal, side impact AND rear impact tests. they won't have LATCH, and three across may be difficult with a regent, but it's a GREAT family car that is very safe, roomy and not too bad on gas, either. you can find them for $4000-6000 with not too high miles.

smurf

You'd probably broaden your choices if you changed the Regent for a narrower seat (Radian). A world of used cars would open up for you. But it's an added expense...

MomtoLE

You'd probably broaden your choices if you changed the Regent for a narrower seat (Radian). A world of used cars would open up for you. But it's an added expense...

Problem with that is I have a very heavy/tall 2 year old and the Regent will be able to be used longer with her.

jennsmile

I LOVE Dave Ramsey! Listen to him all the time.

I have a 2001 Ford Tauras. It has Latch for either 2 outboard or on center. I can fit 3 across and with a Huskey in my back seat. It would be in your price range and while it is not a van it might work for you. Good luck and way to go to get out of debt.

We would pay off our cards every month and spend next month's paycheck. Finally convinced dh to cut up all our credit cards and are doing cash/debit/check only. And it feels so great.

Jenn

MomtoLE

The Taurus is definitely a contender. DH likes the Taurus better than the Windstar.

Thanks so much for the input....we have lots of vehicles to check out now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC