Do I need to stop using this seat immediately?

thtr4me

We took DH's car and both kiddos this morning to drop DS1 off at school. When we left to come home DH had me look at DS2's seat. It is a Britax BLVD 65, expires in April 2013. At the front of the seat where you pull the strap to tighten, is a locking mechanism. You pull it up to loosen the harness. When it is tightened, it is supposed to stay rotated down and locked. Once the harness straps are all the way tight, the locking mechanism is not rotating back down all the way. I can push it down, or give a tug on the harness straps from inside the seat, and it will rotate down and lock.

I am not comfortable with this at all, and have started shopping for a replacement. But do I need to stop using the seat immediately? I have a seat in our third vehicle that can be used in the interim if that is necessary. DH is gone for 4 days, so seat is with him in his car and not in use right now.

Thanks mamas! I was hoping this seat would make it to April, or at least until after Christmas. I will not spend money on replacement parts for a seat that expires so soon.

ADS

hrice

I would discontinue use. If the mechanism isn't working properly it could disengage in a crash and allow slack in the harness.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Since you have another seat that you can use instead, I think that would be the way to go in this case. However, at the very least give Britax customer service a call and let them know what's happening with your seat.

thtr4me

Thanks, I will stop using the seat, and have DH move the other seat to his car.

I think I will wait until DH gets home to call Britax. I want to be able to pull all the numbers off the seat, as that really helps when calling in.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You may just have some junk in there making the a-lock (the thing you are referring to) stick. Try cleaning all around it with a pipecleaner.

thtr4me

I will look, but what is really weird is that it will lock at all times except when the harness straps are all the way tight. If I loosen the straps, it will lock. Maybe the harness height needs to come up some. I will double check that as well.

NannyMom

Is there fuzzing on the sides of the harness adjuster strap? A friend has a Marathon that expires Dec 2012 and I noticed a year or 2 ago that hers was doing that. Britax told us it was fine. I told my friend to ALWAYS make sure it's pushed down. I saw there was fuzzing on hers and figured that may have something to do with it. Though, if it was my seat and my child, I'm not positive I'd feel comfortable using it, and I certainly wouldn't let anyone else use it with my kid (for fear they may forget to push it down)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC