Assistance please: '03 Trailblazer + KeyFit

laurengt

Tomorrow I am going to be helping friends with the install a new KeyFit in a 2003 Trailblazer. I'm going to be pretty short for time (their schedule, not mine) so I'm trying to go into it with as much information as possible, to eliminate some of the guesswork (hopefully).

I've read on here that in the '03 Trailblazer middle seat installs are a no-go, per the manual. (I haven't gotten my hands on the manual for their car yet but will quickly tomorrow and I asked my friend to give it a look too before I see them.) I'm looking for any tips on this seat/car combination. Is there LATCH available on both outboard positions? Is there a crazy seat issue that I'll need a noodle for or will the base adjustment be enough? Does one side of the vehicle make for a better install than the other? Any quirks about this car I should be aware of?

Thanks for any/all information you can provide me!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
FYI: the Keyfit doesn't allow use of a noodle under the base. If the base doesn't adjust high enough, it's an incompatibility. (That's super-few vehicles, though. I'm pretty sure I've put one in a Trailblazer and didn't have difficulty. I didn't try the middle seat anyway, though. But the Keyfit really is one of the easiest installs out there.)

purplemama

I don't have time to find the links but you CAN use the middle seat for a car seat. The vehicle manual says no but I guess GM said at some point you can (or so I was told on here). And the Keyfit base installs incredibly easy in all seating positions using LATCH or seatbelt. A Trailblazer is very easy to install most seats in. I miss mine :(.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I thought that applied to the Trailblazer too. I know it applied to a bunch of other models. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have time to find the links but you CAN use the middle seat for a car seat. The vehicle manual says no but I guess GM said at some point you can (or so I was told on here). And the Keyfit base installs incredibly easy in all seating positions using LATCH or seatbelt. A Trailblazer is very easy to install most seats in. I miss mine :(.

Yes, it's true, middle seat is ok (in ALL Blazers and Trailblazers) as long as the carseat fits in between the belt anchors. They were supposed to send out manual updates to all car owners, but you know how that goes :rolleyes:

JOII

Yes to all this. Except I still have mine. The trailblazer is fantastic for car seats, have yet to find one it doesn't like :love:

krfogle88

I had an 03 trailblazer and now have an 06 trailblazer ext. the keyfit installs like a dream. it will work in the middle also. ive never had issues in any seating position in either trailblazer with the keyfit. :)

MorgieBear'sMama

Just in case you need more reassuring... The keyfit fits perfect in a trailblazer. XH has an 02 trailblazer. We had one middle and one outboard at all times. There really is nothing to it, just make sure the recline foot is all the way out for a newbie.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC