Projectiles

smackeen

I am looking for a video on projectiles during an accident.

I found this one:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV5o_-UADiY&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV5o_-UADiY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

But are there others?

ADS

bnsnyde

I just read about a guy who has the booster in back fly up and severely injure and crush his jaw, and he's pretty much in bad shape for life. Not a video...not sure of the link.

I was researching boosters and the one I needed to fit didn't have latch, and it was frustrating. I don't think I'd buy it. My child won't be able to re-buckle the seat after jumping out of a carline. I did ask the company if they could add latch (as we're at least a year from boostering my daughter) and they are working on it.

We took the cupholders out, though, of the seats that have an option.

zoecoltsmama

Wow, I have been here a few years, knew it was an issue, but I guess it just never hit home until now, How does one secure things like strollers or groceries in a station wagon? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

zoecoltsmama said:
Wow, I have been here a few years, knew it was an issue, but I guess it just never hit home until now, How does one secure things like strollers or groceries in a station wagon? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Not a stupid question! Heavy items on the bottom, against the back seats. If possible, install a "gate" type bar separator (usually sold at or recommended by the dealership to fit properly) to stop the possible projectiles from entering the cabin of the station wagon or SUV. Don't drive with unnecessary heavy items.

zoecoltsmama

Anybody ever thought of using one of the cargo containers on top or back of car for all the "crap" instead of an open trunk?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am looking for a video on projectiles during an accident.

I found this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV5o_-UADiY&feature=player_embedded

But are there others?

As soon as I saw your thread title this was the video I was going to link you to. This is the best one that I'm aware of. I "like" that it shows the apple and the glass shattering, and talks about the internal organ crash as well.

You didn't ask, but here's one with an unrestrained passenger, which people often don't think about in terms of being a projectile. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Qhmdk4VNs"]Rear Passenger Seatbelt - YouTube[/ame]

smackeen

Thanks Jennifer! I never saw that one before.

Definitely drives home the danger of an unrestrained passenger.

Great follow up for my protectiles post on my facebook group! :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can also get crash-rated tie downs to secure strollers etc if you can find a place to secure them.

I've been more vigilant about soft toys ONLY in the car since I got three stitches in my fave where my phone hit me.

bnsnyde

We have an old tether to secure our stroller but it's awkward to attach to the stroller itself. Is there a link for crash-rated tie-downs?

jacqui276

I have a hatchback and have a hard cover that slips over my trunk to prevent everything from flying. In my last accident I had groceries in the trunk and all of the glass shattered. With the cover it made a huge mess of my trunk but thankfully no glass hit anyone. My cell phone also went flying and the cover broke off. Thankfully my unbuckled unoccupied booster didn't go anywhere beyond hitting the seat in front of it.

I was also in an accident when I was younger where my mom was driving. I had a slurpee in my hand and when we were hit it went flying out of my hand and all over my mom. Thankfully it wasn't a glass bottle and only soft plastic (although being covered in sticky slurpee wasn't all that much fun either).

That article about the sippy cup is really eye opening. I will have to think twice about having them in the car when DS is bigger.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have an old tether to secure our stroller but it's awkward to attach to the stroller itself. Is there a link for crash-rated tie-downs?

I find them at the hardware store, in the auto section, or auto parts stores carry them usually- ask for tie downs and ratchet straps (either works, the difference is the adjuster- the ratchet strap tightens with a ratchet, the tie down just pulls tight) and there will be a weight rating on the front. Multiply the weight of the item you want to restrain by 50 to 70- so if you have a 20 lb. stroller, you want something rated to restrain at least 150 lbs. or so. As for attaching, I'd just usually route them THROUGH- thread through so it's going over some bars and under some others or something. Then attach both ends of the strap to secure points, and tighten.

Xandra

Brianna said:
Totally O/T but I can't believe there's still that much movement on a seat with an ARB and some sort of foot prop. Thanks for sharing the video.

But imagine what it would have looked like with no ARB. I imagine it would have rebounded all the way into the seatback.

Xandra, Foster Mommy to O, 8yrs-Parkway SGL, A, 5yrs-Frontier, and L, 14mos-RF Radian XTSL * Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

jacqui276

Aren't the seats with an ARB still supposed to have some movement in a crash? That video looks like how I expected a seat with ARB to rebound, as opposed to one without smacking right into the seat.

alake

8 years ago today to be exact, I was in an accident. We were going 75 miles an hour with the cruise control on, when we struck a full grown bull moose, in a cavalier. The car had been pretty much loaded. We had been moving, and packed the last bit into the car after we dropped the truck off. I don't have a picture, but my play station was in the car with us, and hit the center console, it had a huge dent in the system and destroyed the center console. I don't know how even with the collision we were uninjured by flying objects. Here is what the car looked like. We were banged up but unhurt.
k3xp2.jpg

Phineasmama

One time I saw a show on TLC or maybe Discovery Health or something like that, where the mom had been paralyzed in the waist down when a semi rear ended their car, and she was pregnant with twins. Their first child (a baby) died on impact in that crash, and when they showed crash pics of a snugride installed in the middle seat and it was completely up against the seat back...like it had just slammed into the seat. I couldn't help but wonder if some kind of anti-rebound would have made things different. Although I know it was a very severe crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC