Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Small car/rear facing car seat

I have a tiny car and a tiny car seat budget. I have a 2008 Scion xD. My daughter is 11 months old. I'm not sure what her height is, but she's close to 20lbs, so she'll be over the weight limit for her infant seat soon. I'd like to rear face her past a year, but I'm not sure what will fit in my car. She has to be on the passenger side because my car isn't rated to have a seat in the middle (I double checked the owner's manual) and I have to spend less than $100. I've been looking at the Safety 1st Guide 65, but none of my local stores have it so I can see its size. Help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Small car/rear facing car seat

How tall are you? If you aren't really tall, the Evenflo Momentum will fit. The Guide should work, with pool noodles or a rooled towel.

Click on my picture to go to my profile, I have an album with pics from a 2009 xD. The Evenflo Triumph fit fine in the middle installed with the seat belt. I'm 5'2" and drive with the seat back farther than my 5'3' mom.

As Judi said, the Momentum and Guide 65 will both fit.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

I think you are reading the section of the car manual that tells you which seating positions allow use of the lower anchors for installing a carseat. Seatbelt installs are fine in the center of a scion.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

It looks like you're right, but I still need it to go behind the passenger because my son sits behind me on the driver's side. I don't have passengers frequently, but when the whole family (including my husband) goes anywhere, we take my car because of the gas mileage. So I need to be able to sit fairly comfortably in the passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    I think you are reading the section of the car manual that tells you which seating positions allow use of the lower anchors for installing a carseat. Seatbelt installs are fine in the center of a scion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommavieve View Post
    It looks like you're right, but I still need it to go behind the passenger because my son sits behind me on the driver's side. I don't have passengers frequently, but when the whole family (including my husband) goes anywhere, we take my car because of the gas mileage. So I need to be able to sit fairly comfortably in the passenger seat.
    What does your son ride in? we might be able to help you find a way to get the two kids side by side.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

He's in a Safety 1st All-in-One. I like that seat, but it's a little big. He's FF, but I didn't know about ERF until recently and he's already over the RF limit of his seat.

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    What does your son ride in? we might be able to help you find a way to get the two kids side by side.

He's in a Safety 1st All-in-One. I like that seat, but it's a little big. He's FF, but I didn't know about ERF until recently and he's already over the RF limit of his seat.
    Actually, this may be a good thing. I'm betting that he is really close to outgrowing the All in One harness anyway (avoid using this seat as a booster as it has very poor seat belt routing in booster mode). Is the FFing weight limit for the harness 40# or 50#? The 40# one you can take the base off, and it is the base that is really wide. Without the base, the seat is pretty narrow actually and takes up very little room front to back.

So, I'd fip the Ai1 rfing for the baby and put it in the middle and find a new seat for DS instead. How much does DS weigh and what is his seated height from butt to shoulders?
    Kimberly

Where would I find the weight limit on his seat? My mother-in-law bought it for us two years ago and the manual has since been lost. I'll measure my DS tonight or tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar

Actually, this may be a good thing. I'm betting that he is really close to outgrowing the All in One harness anyway (avoid using this seat as a booster as it has very poor seat belt routing in booster mode). Is the FFing weight limit for the harness 40# or 50#? The 40# one you can take the base off, and it is the base that is really wide. Without the base, the seat is pretty narrow actually and takes up very little room front to back.

So, I'd fip the Ai1 rfing for the baby and put it in the middle and find a new seat for DS instead. How much does DS weigh and what is his seated height from butt to shoulders?

Where would I find the weight limit on his seat? My mother-in-law bought it for us two years ago and the manual has since been lost. I'll measure my DS tonight or tomorrow.
    The weight limit should be printed on a sticker on the side of the seat as well.

Jacqui - mom to: DS; 4.5yrs (50lbs, 46", Diono Radian RXT), DD; 12yrs (5'2, 5-stepping)