Question convertible car seat help!

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone!

I've done a lot of reading on this site, and really appreciate the helpful community. What a great resource!

Despite all the reading, I can't decide what to do for a convertible car seat, and I'm hoping you can help.

My daughter is 17 months, 18 pounds, 31 inches tall. The top of her head is still two inches below the top of her infant seat (Chicco Keyfit 30), so I think we are still good in that for a bit longer (right?).

Our needs are a bit unusual. We don't own a car, but we frequently rent and use car share, so we need a seat that installs safely, quickly, and easily (rear-facing) in a wide variety of vehicles, many of them quite small. We also spend time in Europe, where the cars are even smaller. I/we fly a lot with our daughter (about once a month), so we need a seat that's approved for planes, fits in the narrow seats, and isn't impossible to move through the airport. I'm aware that the CARES harness will be an option once she's bigger, but I prefer to have her in a seat, so she can recline more when she sleeps on the long flights.

So, to summarize:
- easy, good install in lots of small cars (rear-facing)
- lasts a long time rear-facing (height-wise; I don't think we'll be hitting weight limits!)
- airplane/airport ok

Help! :)

I thought the Combi Coccoro might be the answer, but am concerned that it might be harder to install than other options? And my husband wonders if it will be difficult to carry through the airport, since it probably doesn't strap onto one of those car seat wheel-y things.

Thank you so much for your advice!
Kate

ADS
U

Unregistered

(original poster here) I should have added: it's okay with me if I eventually need to move to a larger convertible seat if a smaller one will get us through at least a year past whenever we grow out of the infant seat.

amyd

I'd look at the Britax convertibles. They generally fit well in small vehicles and are very easy to install. Especially nice for your situation are the built-in lockoffs since not all European vehicles have locking belts. They fit well on planes and Britax makes a luggage cart type accessory to transport it through the airport.

jjordan

I'd look at the Britax convertibles. They generally fit well in small vehicles and are very easy to install. Especially nice for your situation are the built-in lockoffs since not all European vehicles have locking belts. They fit well on planes and Britax makes a luggage cart type accessory to transport it through the airport.

:yeahthat: All the Britax convertibles are the same size (except for the "classic" ones at Target), so choose whichever you like best. If you have questions about the differences, let us know, although the Britax website does have a comparison feature that might give you the basics.

U

Unregistered

(original poster): Thanks! I will take a look at the Britax options and might ask for some help sorting it out. Sorry, a naive question: should you always be using a tether when rear-facing a convertible seat? That seems like it could make the install hard or impossible in some cars?

U

Unregistered

...and another post by the original poster (sorry!)

So, I looked at the Britax site and at a half dozen other posts on people picking a Britax seat, and I'm still unsure.

I think my best options are:
Marathon Classic
Marathon 70-G3
Boulevard 70-G3
Pavilion 70-G3
Advocate 70-G3

I see people complaining about the size of the wings on the Advocate... are they just as big on the Pavilion?

If money were no object, which would you pick? And where's the best place to buy from?

Thanks so much!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, the tether on all US seats is optional (or not allowed at all) rear facing. Britax allows it if you can and want to.

Wendy

kazadeelee

(original poster here) I should have added: it's okay with me if I eventually need to move to a larger convertible seat if a smaller one will get us through at least a year past whenever we grow out of the infant seat.

I have the cocorro. its a nice seat but for the money, it doesnt RF as long as some others. the height is much shorter in that one. my 19 month old is like half an inch away from outgrowth in height. I love my radian but it is HEAVY and long so it takes up space in smaller vehicles. definately try britax or the new graco size4me!

jjordan

The Marathon Classic takes up more front-back space than the other Britax seats that you listed.

Among your other options, here's the run-down:

The Marathon is the most basic of what you listed (other than the classic Marathon).
The Boulevard takes the Marathon and adds in slightly bigger head "wings."
The Pavilion takes the Boulevard and adds in the CS feature on the harness (where the harness is supposed to click when you're tightening it and it's tight enough). This feature has mixed reviews, and unless there is a compelling reason for you to need it (eg a grandma or someone else cannot be trusted to get the straps tight enough without it), it is usually deemed to be not worth the extra money. However it might be worth the extra money to you to get a cover choice that is available with the Pavilion and not the Boulevard.
The Advocate takes the Pavilion except with exterior cushions to decrease energy in side impact crashes. Whether or not this decrease in energy translates into better safety for a child during a crash, we don't know.

Amazon usually has prices that are competitive to most other online retailers. You can also check AlbeeBaby.com and Diapers.com.

U

Unregistered

Thanks, everyone! So helpful! It sounds like the Boulevard 70-G3 is the winner.

kazadeelee, how tall (or what percentile) is your 19-month-old who is almost outgrowing the corroco rear-facing?

Keeanh

If you don't mind sacrificing money for convenience, you could use a Coccoro until it's outgrown and then sell it. My 23lb 2yo is an inch below the top of the Keyfit 30 (she doesn't use it, but was playing in it the other day LOL), and still has lots of room RF in the Coccoro.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC