Honda Odyssey 2000/ Britax Regent

U

Unregistered

I am pretty smart...but I am confused--probably mostly by terms and jargon related to restraints.

I have a 2000 Odyssey and have happily used a Britax Marathon. My son is 44", 37lbs. the 2000 Odyssey doesn't have any LATCH, tethers, nor what-not so I am unfamiliar with many of the variables in proper restraint. We use a lap shoulder belt installation in the Odd and very occasionally he rides with my mother with a lap belt installation in the third row of her older Ford Aerostar.

I am looking for another seat to add to the fleet to keep in my mother's car for her occasional transporting. I'm considering adding the Britax Regent to my Odd and switching the Marathon to her car.

Can the regent be used successfully in the 2000 Honda Odyssey? Could it be used eventually with a simple lap belt?

Thanks VERY much for spelling it out for me.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Regent can be used with a lap belt only, you must use the recline bar with that. And your 2000 Ody does have tether anchors. They're under the seat. WAY under. I was in a 2004 today and those anchors are WAY under there. They're attached to the floor under each seat. That's for your captain's chairs. If you want to get anchors installed for your third row the part number is 82410-SE3-C01.

I think your plan sounds like a good one. If you can get your hands on a Regent before you buy, so much the better. In the 2004 today the short belt path and recline bar were incompatible in the captain's chair. In the center of the third row with a lap belt only it may be a different story, and of course the 2000 versus 2004 may be completely different, I don't know them well enough to say that right here. But just try it out. Babies R Us has them in stock, and they let you take seats out to your car to try out.

Wendy

pbutton

So Much for how smart I am....

before you replied (thanks) I figured out that I did have tethers because I saw it on another site. I feel really stupid. I hooked up the tether around the headrest. Now I'm wondering how many of those other straps in pouches on the marathon should have been used in the last three years.

Anyway, Now I'm thinking of just getting another Marathon or the FP Safe Voyage due to the chatter about the recline bar on the Regent.

The Safe Voyage, especially, is reasonably priced for the Grandma car.

I'll post in another forum so more questions. Thank you.

Pbutton

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The part is approx. $13 according to the LATCH manual. You might be able to install it yourself with a torque wrench depending on the instructions for the part, and there may be instructions in the vehicle owner's manual about how to install the anchor. I don't know specifically how much a Honda dealer might charge for labor to install it, other than labor charges are typically pricey for any work done by a dealership, and Honda doesn't have a program or service bulletin for dealers to retrofit anchors for free. :(

gour0

Thank you! I just got the 2004 Odyssey yesterday. Did I read that there might be a tether for the third row? I do not see one, but maybe I am not looking in the right place?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Congrats on the new to you van. :) Your '04 Ody's third row should have a factory equipped top tether anchor for the center seating position, located in the tailgate sill according to the LATCH manual. :thumbsup: The Honda part number listed in a previous post is the one for retrofitting additional third row outboard anchors. There are 2 8mm weld nuts in the tailgate sill for retrofitting the third row outboard anchors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC