Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

"No benefit to remaining harnessed"

Please explain this statement to me...

DS is almost 6.5 and still harnessed full time. He is very small for his age, and very light. I understand the head excursion argument for a very heavy child, but for a child his age/size please discuss with me why having him harnessed offers "NO" protection. I've seen crash tests and children sliding out the side of a booster.

The last time I went to read about this topic there were lots of opinions on the matter, but not very much research to back up either way. Is there now???

DS does ride in a booster in grandparent's cars, but loves his FR85 and I'm in no hurry to switch.
    DS 04/20/06 ~42 lbs F85, Nautilus harnessed
    DD 06/13/08 ~36 lbs FF XTSL

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

How light is he? Sorry if you have his stats in your sig,I'm on the mobile app.

CPS Technician

Re: "No benefit to remaining harnessed"

42 pounds

I was under the impression that there aren't any studies proving harnessing is safer than boostering at that age, not that there is no benefit to it. I you are more comfortable keeping him harnessed and he prefers it, there is no reason to switch, IMO.
    Jonathan, nearly 8: Britax PWSGL & Recaro Performance Booster & Ryan, 4: Graco Milestone and Frontier90

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by jkrkmama View Post
    I was under the impression that there aren't any studies proving harnessing is safer than boostering at that age, not that there is no benefit to it. I you are more comfortable keeping him harnessed and he prefers it, there is no reason to switch, IMO.
    This was my impression too. I just read some people specifically advocating for boostering. I honestly just want to see the studies both ways.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Statistically no benefit, anyway. If there were better data collection methods (for now, it's the first responder getting to the scene and trying to figure it out, generally they just say 'booster' for kids over four and 'harness' for kids under four, if they don't really know...also, they don't know if the seat was installed properly, used properly, whatever, and remember that upwards of 90% of harnessed seats and 65% of boosters are misused somehow), then we might know a little more. In theory, a properly used harness is safer in more types of crashes (better body containment in side impacts, for instance), so I hesitate to flat out state that there's no benefit, it's just that there's currently no way to prove it one way or the other.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3
    Statistically no benefit, anyway. If there were better data collection methods (for now, it's the first responder getting to the scene and trying to figure it out, generally they just say 'booster' for kids over four and 'harness' for kids under four, if they don't really know...also, they don't know if the seat was installed properly, used properly, whatever, and remember that upwards of 90% of harnessed seats and 65% of boosters are misused somehow), then we might know a little more. In theory, a properly used harness is safer in more types of crashes (better body containment in side impacts, for instance), so I hesitate to flat out state that there's no benefit, it's just that there's currently no way to prove it one way or the other.
    Right! There's no benefit *that we know of.* Maybe harnessing is better after a certain point, maybe boostering is better, maybe they're exactly even. We just don't know and there's not really enough data for us to say one way or another. (Not that this prevents people from speculating or forming educated opinions, of course.)
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    In theory, a properly used harness is safer in more types of crashes (better body containment in side impacts, for instance)....
    This is my thought process on it. And since I know that my seat *IS* being used properly every time I think it is a better choice to use it.

For the typical person that I do checks for, I think a booster is a better choice because it has a better chance of being used correctly every time.

CPS Fanatic

It has a chance of being used right each time. But we just got a booster for my son and the first time I sent my husband out with him, I wanted to show husband how to use it, and he said "Some other time."

!!!!!!

I did not let him leave like that. I showed him how. 6-year-old had buckled it over the armrest (part of it) anyway.

I don't get why a man with a PhD would risk taking his son out in a seat he didn't know how to use.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    This is my thought process on it. And since I know that my seat *IS* being used properly every time I think it is a better choice to use it.
    More points of restraint is generally an advantage, especially if you know it is installed and used correctly.

For the typical person that I do checks for, I think a booster is a better choice because it has a better chance of being used correctly every time.
    This is likely the major factor supporting "Freakonomics" claims about using just a seatbelt for kids 2 years old an up.

The one study in the USA that had a minimal amount of data was limited to kids 3-4 years old and showed some advantage to a 5-point harness. I do not know of any significant research for kids above 4 years old.

Transport Canada had a study that came to the conclusion that harnessing was beneficial over boostering for the 4-6 age group, I think it was. I'll see if I can dig it up. And hopefully I'm remembering the conclusion accurately...

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

Okay, here's the thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=154571 Post #3 links to the TC study although the link is from NHTSA not TC. I didn't have a chance to reread, so my apologies if I stated any incorrect conclusions in my previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    Last edited by TechnoGranola; 09-24-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

14. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

Thank you all very much!