"No benefit to remaining harnessed"

Karen

Please explain this statement to me...

DS is almost 6.5 and still harnessed full time. He is very small for his age, and very light. I understand the head excursion argument for a very heavy child, but for a child his age/size please discuss with me why having him harnessed offers "NO" protection. I've seen crash tests and children sliding out the side of a booster.

The last time I went to read about this topic there were lots of opinions on the matter, but not very much research to back up either way. Is there now???

DS does ride in a booster in grandparent's cars, but loves his FR85 and I'm in no hurry to switch.

ADS

jkrkmama

I was under the impression that there aren't any studies proving harnessing is safer than boostering at that age, not that there is no benefit to it. I you are more comfortable keeping him harnessed and he prefers it, there is no reason to switch, IMO.

Karen

I was under the impression that there aren't any studies proving harnessing is safer than boostering at that age, not that there is no benefit to it. I you are more comfortable keeping him harnessed and he prefers it, there is no reason to switch, IMO.
This was my impression too. I just read some people specifically advocating for boostering. I honestly just want to see the studies both ways. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Statistically no benefit, anyway. If there were better data collection methods (for now, it's the first responder getting to the scene and trying to figure it out, generally they just say 'booster' for kids over four and 'harness' for kids under four, if they don't really know...also, they don't know if the seat was installed properly, used properly, whatever, and remember that upwards of 90% of harnessed seats and 65% of boosters are misused somehow), then we might know a little more. In theory, a properly used harness is safer in more types of crashes (better body containment in side impacts, for instance), so I hesitate to flat out state that there's no benefit, it's just that there's currently no way to prove it one way or the other.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
joolsplus3 said:
Statistically no benefit, anyway. If there were better data collection methods (for now, it's the first responder getting to the scene and trying to figure it out, generally they just say 'booster' for kids over four and 'harness' for kids under four, if they don't really know...also, they don't know if the seat was installed properly, used properly, whatever, and remember that upwards of 90% of harnessed seats and 65% of boosters are misused somehow), then we might know a little more. In theory, a properly used harness is safer in more types of crashes (better body containment in side impacts, for instance), so I hesitate to flat out state that there's no benefit, it's just that there's currently no way to prove it one way or the other.

Right! There's no benefit *that we know of.* Maybe harnessing is better after a certain point, maybe boostering is better, maybe they're exactly even. We just don't know and there's not really enough data for us to say one way or another. (Not that this prevents people from speculating or forming educated opinions, of course.)

Karen

In theory, a properly used harness is safer in more types of crashes (better body containment in side impacts, for instance)....
This is my thought process on it. And since I know that my seat *IS* being used properly every time I think it is a better choice to use it.

For the typical person that I do checks for, I think a booster is a better choice because it has a better chance of being used correctly every time.

bnsnyde

It has a chance of being used right each time. But we just got a booster for my son and the first time I sent my husband out with him, I wanted to show husband how to use it, and he said "Some other time."

!!!!!!

I did not let him leave like that. I showed him how. 6-year-old had buckled it over the armrest (part of it) anyway.

I don't get why a man with a PhD would risk taking his son out in a seat he didn't know how to use. :confused:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
This is my thought process on it. And since I know that my seat *IS* being used properly every time I think it is a better choice to use it.

More points of restraint is generally an advantage, especially if you know it is installed and used correctly.

For the typical person that I do checks for, I think a booster is a better choice because it has a better chance of being used correctly every time.

This is likely the major factor supporting "Freakonomics" claims about using just a seatbelt for kids 2 years old an up.

The one study in the USA that had a minimal amount of data was limited to kids 3-4 years old and showed some advantage to a 5-point harness. I do not know of any significant research for kids above 4 years old.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Transport Canada had a study that came to the conclusion that harnessing was beneficial over boostering for the 4-6 age group, I think it was. I'll see if I can dig it up. And hopefully I'm remembering the conclusion accurately...

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC