CPST v. DH?

Melaine

My almost 6 year old twin DDs are in parkways and 5 month old DS is in a snugride. They are in a Ford Windstar typically (although temporarily in a Saturn Ion for repairs on the van). Anyway, we have never had our seats checked, so I took them to a free check at a consignment sale. DH has always installed them and they always seemed well installed to the best of my knowledge.

Well, when we got there the CPST asked why there was a towel underneath the snugride, was it to protect the seats (thin pool towel)? I said absolutely not, that I knew DH had used it because he thought it helped get a good install (but I couldn't remember exactly why he had used it). Well, she took it out and made a joke about being stronger than DH because she was able to get a better install. I laughed but in the back of my head I was thinking something wasn't quite right because DH had certainly used all his weight to get a really solid install.

When I got home I mentioned it to DH and he said he used the towel to get it at the right angle. Sure enough, I looked at the base and a sliver of orange is now showing in that window. The CPST hadn't mentioned it and I was just trusting her to get it right.

So what now? I'm kicking myself for not remembering why the towel was there then I could have at least asked her about it.

ADS

tiggercat

A sliver of orange when looking from the side can be normal for that seat. The blue is a range of angles so if you are installing for a newborn you want the edge of the blue such that the baby is the most reclined allowed. Often this means if you look at the indicator a bit sideways you can see the edge of the orange.

Did the tech use the recline foot on the base instead of the towel?

ETA, when a towel is correctly used to adjust angle, it is pretty obvious (rolled tightly in the seat crack) so if she asked why it was there it is likely that the towel was not correctly used. I've had people come on with big wads of towels under their seats and I do ask their purpose before educating so that I can know what to address.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

The brown piece on the bottom of this snugride is the recline foot. When placed in the lower position, it sticks out and puts the base in a more reclined orientation.

ETA, she should have explained why she took out the towel. Either it was unnecessary, or she used the recline foot instead, or whatever the reason. Usually I say something like "if we were going to use a towel for recline, this is where it will go (demonstrate tightly rolled towel in seat bight). But your seat has a recline foot (demonstrate how to extend foot), so let's use that instead"

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She also should have had you reinstall the seat, not just do it for you. That's the most common tech error I know of. Doesn't matter how good the installation is. She should have gone over your seat ("Let's talk about when the seat is outgrown, where the straps need to be, what the angle should be for a five month old because it does NOT need to be at a newborn angle, the baseless install, allowed handle positions, when it expires, where the locking clip is and instances in which you would use it, the FAA approval mention, the angle indictor. Then let's go over the base. This is the LATCH strap, you have the recline mechanism to adjust the recline, and that's about it on that base."), demonstrated LATCH, seatbelt, and baseless installs, then had you reinstall it in whichever way you choose for your particular position in the car (does it allow LATCH? If so, go ahead).

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

I also think it's rude to make fun of someone (there or not) for installing (or not) tightly... not just because it isn't about strength (it's about where to put pressure while you tighten and what angle you pull the slack from), but because you are supposed to be educating and empowering people to be able to do it themselves, not making them feel inferior and like they can't.

Athena

She also should have had you reinstall the seat, not just do it for you.

:yeahthat: (and everything else Wendy said. :))

There was a time I did not feel confident installing my own seats because of this. I was the expectant mom who went to the tech before giving birth and who asked him to teach me how to install it, yet he still didn't do it. I don't think any of the police/fire techs around here do.

I'm not a tech, but I thought sharing the following experience might be helpful (I hope) -- One day I was in a parking lot miles from home with my two young children getting them into their seats when ... my oldest pushed the seat belt button and uninstalled her seat. :eek: Had I not learned before then how to install the seat, I would have been stranded. But I had learned and I was able to re install it within two minutes before my kids got too impatient. I highly recommend learning how to do it. Even if you have latch, it's good to know and eventually you will hit the latch limit (as we have) or have a seat that installs better with the belt (as we did). Can your DH show you how and let you try it?

V

VanIsleMommy

I'm guessing she removed the towel because it wasn't used properly. I have yet to see a "tightly rolled towel" used properly. I usually see them bunched up under the seat not rolled and jammed against the seatbelt buckle.

ditto to PP, if you don't feel confident that you could take your seat out and install it again yourself you should rebook with another CPST. when I do seat checks usually I uninstall the seat, reinstall it once myself explaining everything along the way, then I always uninstall the seat and get the parent to do it completely themselves, then I ask if they feel confident doing it and if they have any questions. if we have to reinstall that seat 3 times before they get it, that's fine.

also, your DH shouldn't have to use all his weight to install a seat. I've helped moms with carpal tunnel and grandmas install seats and they were able to get less than 1" of movement, it doesn't take brute strength or weight. thank goodness or I'd never be able to install a seat myself :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC