Cars with "those" headrests

VoodooChile

My sister is looking at new cars and is finding many with the fixed, forward-leaning headrests. Now, the best solution is to avoid them, but in case she ends up with them, can anyone answer a few questions?
1. Kiddo is 4 1/2 and currently in a classic MA with little room to grow. It should last until she's 5 though. Is the MA compatible with EHR(evil headrests)?
2. Dad has a FR85 if the MA is not compatible. Is the FR?
3. She will move to a hbb when the MA is outgrown. Are there any that are compatible with these headrests?
Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
1. I don't think that the MA would work well with fixed headrests, but I haven't owned one in a couple of years, and I think I only tried my Boulevard FF once in a spot w/o a headrest. It might depend on the vehicle.

2. I've found that the Frontier 85 works very well with fixed headrests. The headwing section of the Frontier usually fits around the headrest.

3. The Frontier 85 in booster mode would likely work with fixed headrests. If the position with the fixed headrest has LATCH, the Clek Oobr can be LATCHed and used at a certain recline mode to work with fixed headrests. :)

gigi

bree said:
1. I don't think that the MA would work well with fixed headrests, but I haven't owned one in a couple of years, and I think I only tried my Boulevard FF once in a spot w/o a headrest. It might depend on the vehicle.

2. I've found that the Frontier 85 works very well with fixed headrests. The headwing section of the Frontier usually fits around the headrest.

3. The Frontier 85 in booster mode would likely work with fixed headrests. If the position with the fixed headrest has LATCH, the Clek Oobr can be LATCHed and used at a certain recline mode to work with fixed headrests. :)

I had the exact opposite experience. Old style boulevard worked great, frontier is completely incompatible in either mode.

The new Britax convertibles can have a gap...there is a bulletin from them floating around if you search threads :)

careynj

I find the new Britax to work really well in my car, Volvo, with "those" headrests. I have a roundabout 55. I haven't used my frontier in there yet since my brother's son s using it for now. I just bought an oobr :) I've hea they work well.

VoodooChile

Thanks everyone! She ended up with a 2012 Corolla, and said the headrests are adjustable (she was grateful for the heads-up about them, btw!). Hopefully her MA will work well until outgrown. They like dd's Oobr, so I'm guessing that will be dn's next seat.
Thanks again!

babyherder

I have "those" headrests. The best advice I have is to only transport kids rf and with nbb. So just skip transporting your kids from ages 3ish-8ish (depending on size).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC