I said something to a stranger today

Lemonade

and she was actually thrilled about it.

Was dropping off paperwork at a daycare that I might start subbing at. Lady is putting her DD in car seat in car next to us. Appears to be right around a year (was 14m). It's an Alpha Omega reclined FF. I apologized and said I hope she didn't take offense but I'm a tech and the seat needed to be upright FF. (I was going to mention RF if I had a chance.) She was so thrilled and said she had been trying to get in to see a tech! She just got a new car (a late model Volvo wagon, no latch or TT.)
I told her I could help out. My kids were in my car and her DD wasn't all too patient so it was somewhat rushed. She said she wanted her RF but couldn't get the seat in that way. It would only fit RF in the center forcefully braced and forget outboard. And holy cow was the installation her DH did creative. Seatbelt actually looked correctish except for being reclined. Then another seatbelt through the belt path the other direction, wrapped under the seat, hooked to one end of the latch strap, with other end of the latch strap hooked to something under the front seat. I installed it where they had it, outboard. Showed her how to do it. Told her they can try it center if they want because it was not super tight. Within tolerance, but not as tight as I'm used to getting seats. Just because of the geometry of how the seat fit on the vehicle seat. I also took off the newborn head support and adjusted the straps to the right level (they were way too low). She bucked her in and it was nice and snug and chest clip was properly used so that's great. I told her to sign up for a check because other techs might have some tricks I don't know to be able to use it rear-facing. It did have switchable latch plates...the ones you are shown in class but will likely never see again:) But the seatbelt locked so I used that. I perhaps could have gotten it a smidge tighter with the latchplate locked but I didn't want to try something new in a rush with no one there to check me on it.

While it was not in any way ideal for that 14m old to leave FF, she was far safER than before I intervened and that's the whole point. And the seat was actually being used within manufacturer's guidelines when they left, vs beforehand.

ADS

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
It had locking latch plates and a switchable retractor? I didn't think any car had two forms of locking the belt.

hrice

I'm glad you got such a good response.

Remember that Dorel has a 34" minimum for FF so unless it was an extremely tall 1 yr old the child does not meet the manufacturer's minimums to be forward facing.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
NicoleCPST said:
It had locking latch plates and a switchable retractor? I didn't think any car had two forms of locking the belt.

Yes. I've seen it, in a Volvo. It was at a check, I discovered it, and we all gathered to check it out.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
trippsmom said:
Yes. I've seen it, in a Volvo. It was at a check, I discovered it, and we all gathered to check it out.

That is so weird. Good, I guess, but strange. I don't think I've ever done a Volvo install.

Lemonade

The child was pretty tall. I didn't have her next to my DD so I wouldn't wager a guess as to how many inches, but she wasn't some teeny tiny little thing. I would guess she was over 20#.

Yup, I checked the belt a couple times to make sure it locked, and it was a Volvo.

Hopefully she follows through on getting a check. Maybe I'll run into her again. Like I said, not ideal but SafER:)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
NicoleCPST said:

My SIL's Chevy Venture has them in the third row (but not the second :scratcheshead: )

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I did a check on a very new Dodge Ram (I think? - one of the big trucks with a full back seat), 2010 or 2011 with a locking latchplate AND a switchable retractor. I probably looked really confused to the parents when looking at it. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC