The ever-present debate... Sienna vs Ody?

desiree_leigh

Hubby is considering trading in his gas-guzzling truck and getting a new(-to-us) van. This is all entirely hypothetical right now, but I figured I'd do my research anyway. I'm thinking Sienna or Ody, but probably a 2005-2008? I have 3 kids, 2 in boosters, one RF but will likely be FF in the next year or so. I don't carpool or run a daycare so tons of TAs and LATCH positions isn't a dealbreaker, and 7 vs 8 psgr isn't really either. I want something I won't be putting a new transmission into in the next year, I love my power doors in my current MPV, and I want more cargo space than I have currently, which either vehicle will do. Pros/Cons/experiences???

ADS

bubbaray

I had a 2005 Ody (6 with the Eco engine) and got about the same mileage as DHs 2011 F150 V8. So maybe he doesn't want a van but rather a new truck? I can easily get 3 across of any seat In the super crew. And, well, cargo room. Um yeah. Good to go there. LOL

desiree_leigh

Hmm, yeah DH drives a 2011 Dodge Ram Hemi (with Eco). I love the truck but it has no cargo room (no bedliner or canopy) and it's costing us $180/mth for insurance, plus well over $100 a week in gas. If I got a van, it would be driven far less than his truck, cost less to insure (pleasure use vs work over 15km) and he would either drive a 4cyl or V6 VW Jetta, or he would drive my current van (V6 Mazda MPV). I don't know if it would be a huge savings, but it would be a sanity saver...

bubbaray

Why don't you just switch cars? He has a hemi? Diesels get great mileage. An Ody won't do better than that.

You will get used to driving the truck. Just get a bed liner. I quite like driving DHs truck, except to the dance studio where the parking lot is tight and the moms are insane drivers. Then again I didn't even like driving my Ody there.

I think buying a new vehicle isnt as good an idea as getting the liner sprayed. or a canopy, but they are pricey. Then again, we love having a truck in the family.

desiree_leigh

I can/have driven the truck but prefer to have space inside the vehicle for storage, and for the dog or potentially a friend for play dates. It's not a diesel, it's gas. We could trade vehicles but I would really prefer not to... Although you're right, it's an option!

bubbaray

Ok. I thought hemis were all diesel?

There is tons of room in DHs truck. Way more than my RAV4. Less than a van tho.

A canopy would be cheaper than a new vehicle. Esp if you can find a used one. There is also a place up in summerland that sells them cheap for cash.

Eta. Put dog in box/bed in a crate.

Huh, I wasn't aware that they even had a diesel Hemi. Maybe it's a Canada/US thing?

If you get a minivan, defitely the Sienna in that year range.

But yeah, just swapping cars might work out.

m2h

Does it have to be Sienna or Ody? I drive a 2008 Hyundai Entourage (5 star crash test ratings, one of the safer minivans on the road). Seats 7. It has three latch positions, is super comfy, comes with more standard bells and whistles for the price. They can be had second hand for less then the Honda or Toyota. Gas mileage for the minivans is still not great though. I was shocked moving up from a car, but I think probably better than a truck, and definitely more convenient with kids, friends, cargo, dog, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC