Frontier flimsier than I thought...

soph's mom

I know it's an excellent seat but I saw one for the first time in BRU last weekend and the plastic seemed thinner than I thought it would be... I always assumed I would purchase this seat in a few years after I turn Soph and pass the coming radian down. It seems to be thinner plastic than the other britax seats... Is it just me? I'll probably still be getting it... Possibly the sict version since it would be outboard and my Volvo only has front side airbags...

ADS

cso1997

Hmm, mine isn't flimsy. Maybe they have changed. Mine is very solid and pretty much a beast of a seat.

soph's mom

I just looked at the plastic on the base/lbb and it didn't seem as thick as the older roundabout I had seen and used before... I'm sure it was just me and the quick look and feel I took though. I was also pleasantly surprised too after reading how heavy and wide they were it wasn't as bad as I thought. I just had it built up too much in my head from reading posts here! LOL

NannyMom

Maybe because it is blow molded? (is that what its called?) The plastic is definitely different than the convertibles

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe because it is blow molded? (is that what its called?) The plastic is definitely different than the convertibles

That's my guess. Yeah, the plastic is a different kind, I think it holds up better in bigger seats (the Regent was blow molded as well...it allows a much thicker shell while keeping the weight of the seat a lot lower). If you're not accustomed to it, it can definitely seem flimsy. Plus on the shelf the seat is all slippery and I knock it over all the time trying to show people the recline block at work....makes it look like a pretty sloppy piece of engineering overall compared to the solid convertibles on the other shelf. It's a lot nicer when installed, though :)

Phineasmama

I don't think I would ever use the word flimsy in describing it :p But yes, definitely different than the convertibles.

Little Ps Mama

I was surprised when I got mine too (my first Britax seat). I guess I was expecting it to feel more like the RXT in construction. The Nauti in comparison just feels more solid to me. I don't doubt it's safe of course. Just thought it would be heavier/feel more solid.

Athena

I love the lighter weight and I feel like the plastic is sturdier than the thin plastic in our GN's sides, but it doesn't have the metal bars like the GN, so it's whatever you prefer I suppose. I use both seats with confidence.

Brianna

I wouldn't consider it flimsy at all... it's a beastly seat if you ask me! I have no qualms using the FR85 or the Argos.

jkrkmama

cso1997 said:
Hmm, mine isn't flimsy. Maybe they have changed. Mine is very solid and pretty much a beast of a seat.

Ditto this! I'll have to go to BRU and take a peek at it.

thtr4me

I would not call the seat flimsy either, but I will admit that my first impression when I saw the seat in person was 'flimsy'. It just felt so thin and light and unsubstantial, at least in comparison to my beastly BLVD 65. That thing is just heavy and unwieldy.

soph's mom

I'm thinking it is the blow-molding or whatever it's called. It just doesn't look or feel as substantial as I thought it would or as the other britax seats. I'm not trying to badmouth the seat btw, like I said I will probably have one in a couple years.

bnsnyde

It was a lot flimsier than I thought too, but the crumple zone...love that. Maybe like how cars from long ago were super sturdy, but not so safe. Now they are lighter but safer, with crumple zones.

soph's mom

bnsnyde said:
It was a lot flimsier than I thought too, but the crumple zone...love that. Maybe like how cars from long ago were super sturdy, but not so safe. Now they are lighter but safer, with crumple zones.

Yep, I'm sure that's correct. How do you think the Prosports compare? I like the longer lifespan of the frontier but then again I'll probably want something new before 9 years is up for other kids...

Little Ps Mama

bnsnyde said:

Which part is the crumple zone?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC