How far do you push weight limits?

Lemonade

Two situations:

DN is 46# (assuming without shoes) and rides in a 50# Maestro in FIL's car. He's newly 4 yrs old, not that it matters. At what weight would you recommend they stop using the seat?

DD is 35.0# clothed, but without shoes or any light jacket. I need to provide a seat to her friend's mom who we're doing an afternoon kid swap with on a regular bases. Was thinking of an OnSide Air because it's light and easy to install with a belt -- may need to come in and out. According to the CDC growth curve, she will hit 40# around age 5. Also will probably max out by harness height around that time. Looks like sears/kmart has them for $52ish. WWYD?

I know the simple answer might be to replace the Maestro in FIL's car with a higher weight seat and use it for DD's friend's car but I just don't have Maestro love.

ADS

NVMBR02

For me, it mostly depends on the age of the child. For a young child (under 3 or so) I would be more likely to push the Rfing weight limit if I couldn't get another high limit Rfing seat. Same would go for a immature 4 year old about to outgrow a harness.

That being said, my kids are lightweights so I don't personally need to push the limits on my seats.

If you would need to move your DS to a booster when he outgrows the Maestro then I would keep an eye on his weight at move him at 49 pounds, but if he was moving to another harnessed seat I would probably just make the switch now or as soon as I could.

I would probably not get the OnSide Air for your dd. I would probaly give her the Maestro even though I didn't love it and get something else for your DS.

cookie123

I moved Matt to ff in the Radian at 31 lbs (limit was 33 lbs) last June at 3.5. This year he was 33 lbs in June. He could have rf'd another whole year! Now he's 37 lbs. He must have had a little growth spurt. Anyway, I'd push it a little further.

Lemonade

Not my DS in the maestro:). DN...nephew. My DS is 38# at nearly 7yrs so with him I me ER had to worry about limits:)

Yeah...I should probably use the maestro for DD.

mumof2

would depend on the age of the cihld if they were 2 and 40lbs Id be hopgint they dont get to 45lbs before they reached 3 hopefully get to 4 years on the other hand if they were 35lbs and 4 years I would be comfortable having them FF.

for me its more about age than weight.

eg I wouldnt FF a 40lb 18 month old but wouldhave no problems having a 35lb 4 year old FF

Lemonade

mumof2 said:
would depend on the age of the cihld if they were 2 and 40lbs Id be hopgint they dont get to 45lbs before they reached 3 hopefully get to 4 years on the other hand if they were 35lbs and 4 years I would be comfortable having them FF.

for me its more about age than weight.

eg I wouldnt FF a 40lb 18 month old but wouldhave no problems having a 35lb 4 year old FF

It's not a matter of rf/ff. both kids are over 4 and ff. just wondering about ff weight limits vs going to a different ff harness seats with more room to spare in the weight limit.

NVMBR02

Oops, sorry I read DS, not DN. Are you the person that provides the seat for your nephew? If so, I would still pass the maestro on to your ds, otherwise I would just get whichever seat you like for your dd.

christineka

I'd use the maestro till 49.5 pounds. For your dd, I'd pick whatever seat you like that she fits in. If she fits under the harness height for the onside air, go for it! I just had my ds rear-facing at 38-39 pounds and his seat rfes to 40. Back in the olden days, my kids stayed in their harnessed seats till they reached exactly 40 pounds on the doctor's scale.

V

VanIsleMommy

for me, if the manufacturer says I can use the seat for a child up to ___ pounds, I assume they mean a fully clothed and fed one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC