No more tether weight limits?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

The url has a date of 08/30/12. I knew Chrysler had announced earlier this summer there would be no more TA weight limits for certain vehicles, but I hadn't seen an announcement for Ford. Yay!

eta: Looking at the 2011 LATCH manual. It states Ford allows TA use to the maximum limit of the restraint as long as you're using the seatbelt (lower anchor limit of 48 lbs). So, not new on that one.

eta 2: I should read more carefully. I had only skimmed and looked at the pictures/diagrams. It lists quite a few manufacturers. : Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Maserati, Mini, Nissan, Scion, Subaru, Toyota, and Volvo

That's excellent. I'm glad to see them removing the limits, given SafeKids' recent stand against tethering beyond stated limits.

Now if we could only get Honda/Acura, GM, and Kia/Hyundai on that list. Who else is missing? BMW, VW/Audi...

crunchierthanthou

Me again. :eek:

Here's a list of TA limits when using the seatbelt, per 2011 LATCH manual.

Defer to CR manufacturer/limits of CR
BMW
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury
Infiniti/Nissan
Jaguar
Land Rover
Lexus
Maserati
Mercedes
Scion
Subaru
Suzuki
Toyota
Volvo

none stated/does not provide info
Hyundai/Kia
Mazda
Porche

Has stated TA limits
GM
Honda/Acura
Mitsubishi
VW/Audi
Saab

I had no idea there were so many that already deferred to the CR manufacturer, or just didn't state a limit. I was aware of some, but was surprised by this. Here I thought I was all rogue recommending using the tether to the limits of the seat. :p

cantabdad

That's excellent. I'm glad to see them removing the limits, given SafeKids' recent stand against tethering beyond stated limits.

I'm relatively new to all this and still don't understand why some parts of the CPS "establishment" (e.g. Safe Kids) are so adamant about discontinuing the use of the top tether at the car's stated weight limit.

If the tether strap is connected and the tether anchor fails, is that any worse than not using the tether at all? Is that why most techs seem to leave it open to a "parental decision" to continue using the top tether?

Part of me was wondering why rates of top tether use are so low. Unlike other best-practice recommendations, it doesn't really take any extra time, cost any more money, or take up more space in the vehicle. And don't people wonder what that extra strap is doing dangling from the carseat? But now that I think of it, in any area where there are mixed messages, you are going to see lower compliance rates.

I checked my Honda owner's manual and didn't see weight limits for the lower anchors or top tether anchors. I realize that they are supplied to the LATCH manual. But if not exceeding these weight limits is so important, why didn't Honda use its best opportunity to contact the driver by putting this right in the manual? There are zillions of other safety warnings in there.

kam1011

If the tether strap is connected and the tether anchor fails, is that any worse than not using the tether at all? Is that why most techs seem to leave it open to a "parental decision" to continue using the top tether?

^^^This. And we always hear of people who don't have a TA in a certain spot and tether to a cargo anchor or something (sometimes with approval and sometimes without). Why is it bad (for the unapproved) - if the anchor fails how would that be worse than no tether at all provided the anchor point is still within 20 degrees, etc?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC