Parents let 2-year-old drive

ADS

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Ugh.

Before air bags I might have done this with my Dad. I know my younger siblings did. We were a bit older than 2.

christineka

A family at church would do this every Sunday. Obviously, the children grew older through the years, but I first saw them do it when the youngest was around 2 or 3 years old. They are a family of 6 and would drive their car (5-seater) to church. They have a suburban, but never drive it to church.

agave

We used t do that pre airbags on my great aunt's 200 acres very slowly with no other cars. I think I got to drive on my own at 12. I'm pretty sure my 4 yr old has driven with DH on our 5 acres which is why I bought her a booster for the truck, she doesn't ask to drive any more.

Kat_Momof3

How can people not realize how dangerous this is? Especially on a ROAD. I get letting your kid who is big enough start learning to drive on private property before they are old enough to get a permit... but again, that's on PRIVATE PROPERTY with a kid big enough to fit the seatbelt and use the pedals... and take direction.

I do NOT get putting your child completely unrestrained, especially on a public road, and encouraging them to essentially play. They are so lucky no one was injured.

What would happen if they hydroplaned? If little Giovanni got a fright and jolted the wheel? I wish I could get inside their heads and try to find out how is Gods name they thought this was ok. I was so scared for that little boy. I hope his parents, and any others that do this, learned from that.

Lack of thought never ceases to amaze me.

Mugsmom

How can people not realize how dangerous this is? Especially on a ROAD.

I think they do, and they just think the "fun" is worth the risk. I know someone who would probably do this with his kids. He's always throwing them around, tossing them in the air, or dangling them over a 2nd floor balcony Michael-Jackson-style. You can hand a 2 year old an empty toilet paper roll and they'll have the time of their life, they don't need to do the baby equivalent of bungee jumping, so I think it just gives the parents a thrill of some sort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC