Toyota/Buckle Up for Life

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There's a full-page color ad in my local paper today for a Toyota-sponsored program called Buckle Up for Life. They teamed up with a children's hospital in Cincinnati to help reach out to Hispanic and African-American communities, and they're now working in cities across the country. http://www.toyotainaction.com/story/toyota-helps-kids-buckle-up-for-life-oh

There's a 2-minute video on the website, and it's mostly really good (there's one cringe-worthy situation in a photo, but overall, not bad). I love the egg-car-crash they do! I'll have to keep that in mind.

ADS

NatesMamma

Nice! I'm happy to see the program is in my city, too. We have a HUGE problem with families not buckling up. It's not uncommon for multiple unrestrained kids to die in a single crash. :(

Kat_Momof3

I love it... I liked their facebook page they have for it.

I also liked that egg car crash they did... definitely something that would be fun for kids and teach them.

canadiangie

Fascinating that you guys can openly target certain cultures for programs such as these.

Mostly that wouldn't fly up here, I don't think, and I can think of two cultures whose stats on CPS would probably be pretty bad. I'm not even willing to type out those two cultures because it is just so ... not done up here -- any sort of, well, anything that might be construed racist. I'm not even willing to type that they "would" be pretty bad -- notice I said "probably". ;)

I can't imagine any large corporation sponsoring a program targeting a specific cultural background in Canada. Maybe behind the scenes, but not openly.

FTR I think the program is fantastic, but I couldn't help but note my ponderings. :)

And yes, the egg/car thing is awesome. Genius, really.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Outreach to all sorts of people is very common here, and usually (though not always) spearheaded by people within the community.

I used to do community outreach for various programs/information campaigns and we worked with companies whose sole job it is to reach out to minority populations. Messages and methods of delivery that appeal to the general public are often ineffective for other populations, whether due to language, culture, or otherwise. NOT reaching out to those specific communities is what does them a disservice.

canadiangie

Outreach to all sorts of people is very common here, and usually (though not always) spearheaded by people within the community.

I used to do community outreach for various programs/information campaigns and we worked with companies whose sole job it is to reach out to minority populations. Messages and methods of delivery that appeal to the general public are often ineffective for other populations, whether due to language, culture, or otherwise. NOT reaching out to those specific communities is what does them a disservice.

Well I tend to agree with you. Outreach to all sorts of people is very common here too; trust me, the social safety net is alive and well up here. The difference is that you don't see too many programs laid out for xyz cultural background by privately funded sources. Publicly funded programs aimed at a specific minority is slightly more common, but then you don't see big budget advertising along with it. Maybe a poster tacked onto a community board, or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC