Question Best seat to use interchangeably between 2 kids: infant and toddler

U

Unregistered

We have two cars and two kids (4 months and 3 yrs/32lbs/38" tall).

Our primary car has a car seat for each child. So we are all set there.

For now, we only want to put one car seat in our secondary car (2007 Camry), which we would use when we are driving with only one of the children. So this seat will be RF and needs to be able to easily adjust on the fly to accomodate infant AND toddler, depending on who we're driving with.

I realize that we will only be able to do this temporarily, until our toddler can no longer RF. At that time, we'll install 2 seats. But for now, I want to try to get away with only 1 seat.

I'm feeling like the Radian RXT is the way to go, since it can RF for so long, but wanted to get opinions here first.

Thanks!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd do the Graco Size4Me instead. It's taller, you don't need the 45 pounds of the Radian, and you just raise and lower the headrest to adjust the harness, so you won't need to rethread the harness between a three year old and four month old.

Or an Evenflo Triumph 65 for the same reasons.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yep, the S4M is a *dream* for sharing between children. The harness height adjusts up and down extremely easily (squeeze a lever) and there's no need to move the crotch strap. It is super-tall (your 3yo will not outgrow it by height) and goes to 40lbs rear-facing, so it will last you quite a while. Graco has a listed 40" height requirement but they have revised it and said it can be used until the child is 1" from the adjustment lever in the highest headrest position (aka, forever.)

Other similar options -- aside from the Evenflo Wendy mentioned -- would be the Complete Air 65 (which requires a steep recline angle, may not yet fit your 4mo, and has a strict 40" height limit for RF) or the TrueFit (which only has a 35lb RF limit.) Of the four, I'd go with the S4M, but I do want to mention two things -- one, the harness is very difficult to tighten the last bit of slack out of (I find it helpful to push down on the splitter plate, behind the seat,) and two, you would probably find it easiest to leave the infant hip padding out, so if your 4mo is petite that may bother you. But that's going to be the case with any seat, I think.

The Radian will require re-threading between the children, so as much as I like the seat, I wouldn't recommend it for this particular use.

(As an aside, what do they ride in in the main vehicle? If one of those could be easily shared, it may be an option to move it over and replace it.)

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the replies!! Did not realize the radian needed rethreading. That woulnt have worked at all! I will check out the S4M...

We already have 2 boulevards. Does that change anyone's opinion? :)

leannegoolsby

CPS Technician
i like Evenflo's for multiple kids... the Triumph 65 or Momentum 65.

they have "infinite slide" straps, so they automatically adjust to the child's height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC