Graco size4Me / booster / 3 across?

jheimes

I have an '03 Chrysler Town & Country that I installed the Size4Me both RF and FF on captains chair with latch. (No noodles needed RF in any position yet.) The head rest has to be removed to install FF all the way up.
Nice RF install and can be all the way up without interfering with driver seat. (TFP RF had to move driver seat up a little). Love this seat RF in capt chair due to extra room we get for driver or front passenger. Harness adj release button is not buried. Leg room seems fine RF for my almost 2yr about 31 or 32 inches tall.
Our back bench seat is actually from my aunt's 01 Dodge and has 3 tether positions and 2 off center latch positions. (so latch useless for 3 across)
I tried the size4me RF passenger outboard and FF pass outboard with seatbelt install. RF is great, FF it can only be adjusted up to about 5th harness position because it hits the corner of the ceiling, but do not have to remove vehicle headrest.
Not much padding on lower back or under bottom on size4me. Adjusts similiar to Radians both RF and FF. So not super easy adjust, so will probably leave it alone as much as possible and keep in van since DH will not take time to adj it correctly if it is not a piece of cake.
I tried it FF in the center back bench seat with both seatbelt and latch (separate occasions) and seemed to install well and could raise harness up all the way.
I am trying to get 3 across my back seat with a booster, RF convertible and FF seat. I am running into issues having room for the Graco HBB to have room to buckle. It fits, but makes it hard to get into to buckle it.
So do I try a diff booster or put her back in a harnessed seat? She will be 7 soon. About 43# and 48". Mature enough for booster, but short enough for radian in top notch and barely the TF in top notch.
I need 4 seats in my van for when baby comes. I like the idea of leaving one capt chair out for room for groceries since have stroller in back hatch, etc. Then I can load infant seat and walk around and get all the way in, shut door and assist 4 yr and RF 2yr with buckling. 7 yr can buckle self. If I can't fit 3 across back, then I lose the extra space and ease of assisting backseat users because I would have to put the 2 RF in the capts chairs and not be able to crawl under to assist. The kids can crawl under, but not me.

Attachments

• IMG_0167[1].JPG
    IMG_0167[1].JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0172[1].JPG
    IMG_0172[1].JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0173[1].JPG
    IMG_0173[1].JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0176[1].JPG
    IMG_0176[1].JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0178[1].JPG
    IMG_0178[1].JPG
    212 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0179[1].JPG
    IMG_0179[1].JPG
    215 KB · Views: 27
ADS

jheimes

Yes, I did that too, just couldn't load all my pics that showed it.
RF RXT (outboard pass) / FF S4M / Graco HBB gives the best hand room, but because the belt stalk is soft, you have to dig to get it and then hold it at correct angle to get it to buckle.
I did seatbelt installs with all the carseats to get that much room. I think it might work better with a booster that had the lift up armrest, but not sure.

jheimes

Awesome idea about velcro. Maybe I can use one of those computer cord velcro strips to velcro the belt stalk to the booster arm so it is easier to get at. I'll try it today.
My only other option is either a different booster or try to do RF RXT, FF RN to see if it puzzles closer to give more room, but putting 2 Radians in the van messes up what seats we have in the pickup truck. (I wouldn't have a RF tethered seat in truck anymore which makes me nervous with the rear window right there.)

jheimes

So she still can't manuever the buckle herself even with the velcro and I can only do it with lots of work and mangled hands. I'm going to try to switch sides between the RXT and Graco HBB and see if that helps since the cupholder is only on one side of the s4m. Then I would just have to cover the belt that holds the s4m in so it wouldn't be accidentally opened.

jheimes

I tried HBB, FF s4M, and outboard driver side - RF RXT.
Still not enough to buckle. I did try an Evenflo DLX or something like that with lift up armrests which made it slightly easier, but not enough to warrant buying it or putting up with shallow headrests on it.
I can fit FF Radian, FF S4M, RF RXT okay and also FF TrueFit, FF Radian, RF RXT okay, but I can't seem to work the booster in there.
DD1 can still fit into the harness of the radian and S4M, but only by about a 1/2". I might have to keep her harnessed a bit longer until the Peg perego HBB 120 comes out and try it. It's about the same width as the graco, but depends on how the armrests are configured.
Aarg!

Nimommyof2

I would try some different boosters I've always found the turbo really hard for buckling three across. I agree with the parkway I find its how the armrests are you can reach under them easier to buckle

jheimes

Next time I go to Omaha, I will try a parkway. I was browsing old 3 across threads and that was one that several said fit well 3 across in my van. It is a 3 hr drive to Omaha and they aren't available around here. I don't want to order one until I know it's going to work.
I had to do FF Radian, RF RXT and Graco HBB for now to get by with. It gives a little more room to buckle since the base of the RXT is narrower than the shoulders. I can buckle the booster, but haven't had DD1 try it yet. Will find out Tuesday.
I put the size4Me RF in the captain chair since it takes up less front to back space than the TFP.
I can use the TFP RF in the pickup since it has the rebound bar.
I would still like to have either the TF or the Size4me fit in the back with RXT and a booster so that when I have daycare kids I don't have to switch out seats (they both have adjustable harness height without uninstalling).
I will probably have the baby in a bucket in the other capt chair part of the time and then just set carrier in front seat while load other kids, then snap baby into base on capt chair.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Suggestion 1: Try the Radian FF and the Size4Me RF, and see if that helps any with buckling etc. It might, it might not.

Suggestion 2: Try an Amp HBB. I know another member here found it was the best solution to her 3-across problems. I think they sell them at Target and similar.

jheimes

I tried the FF Radian and RF S4M still a no go. We are getting by with the FF radian, RF XTSL, but daughter and I both still have trouble getting her buckled in graco booster and it tips once buckled. We tried the harmony dreamtime which was didn't tip like graco, but daughter didn't like how hard the seat was and complained fabric was scratchy and couldn't buckle it any better, but appeared to give the same amt or more for buckle room. I think she just didn't like it so didn't try to hard.
I am considering ordering the Britax parkway online from target that way I could still return it to the store if it doesn't work.
What is the difference between SG and SGL?

jheimes

I broke down and bought the Evenflo LX that has armrests that lift up/down because I couldn't handle the TB tipping anymore. It fits well and she can buckle self, but I don't care for the lack of headrest.
So I have RF RXT, FF Radian, Evenflo LX (which can still be returned if needed).
Are there any other HBB that have lift up arms?
I tried the Britax Parkway SGL that I ordered from NBD thinking that if it didn't work there that I would use it later on in the pickup or for carpooling. She had trouble getting it buckled, but could probably do with some more practice (just not as easily as evenflo) and I could buckle it, but just barely. DD didn't like the short/low armrests (but I could live with that), I didn't like how she had to pull the slack out of the shoulder belt everytime. It catches in the red thing. We both liked the padding and depth/comfort and fit. Because of the shoulder belt issue I am debating keeeping this booster at all for other uses. Anybody know if it has this issue in other vehicles?
I can get by with the options I have for now, but would prefer a better solution if possible. TIA

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC