Does more expensive mean better/safer seat when it comes to boosters?

epost

I am purchasing two new booster seats for my short/slim 8 year old daughters. I am considering the Clek oobr, the cybex (which you can still get at sears on line) and the Diono Monetary. The firs two are very expensive say compared with a turbo booster. Can I assume it's better quality or it really doesn't matter? Any suggestions on which way to go? Unfort. I can't have the girls try them before purchasing as no local store carries.

These seats will mostly be used in a VW passat with occasional use in a honda odyssey.

thx.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nope. Just like any other seat they pass testing. Whatever you guys find the most comfortable, or the nicest cover, or the easiest to buckle.

Wendy

Carter's Mommy

My son has the Monterey and also a graco turbo booster for a spare. He is much more comfortable in the Diono Monterey and it looks/feels like a much more substantial seat to me. I know they pass the same tests, but it's very sturdy, padded, etc. Even though they pass the same tests it *looks* safer to me. One of my favorite features is the LATCH because I often drive DD in the car when DS is at school and I don't have to worry about it being buckled back in so it's not a hazard when not in use. I do have to warn that I'm having a little bit of an issue with my cars seatbelt ('06 Odyssey captain seat) not retracting properly with this seat though. Other than that, it's a well built and comfortable seat. I'm probably not too much help, but that's our experience.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
More expensive seats are generally more comfortable, and have taller seat backs, thicker headwings, deeper seat pans for more leg support, and have undergone extra testing for such things as head containment in side impacts. (Government testing is good, but only measures forward crashes currently). I would want to try my kids in a couple of seats to see if they have a preference, if possible (buy from a store with a good return policy and plop them in the car for a few minutes with all the tags still on the boosters so someone else knows the seat is new, or try them out at a local baby store if possible).
I'd also consider the Britax Parkway SGL (I know it's not known for fitting 'small' kids well, but even a small 8 yo is a lot bigger than the small 4 and 5 year olds that usually generate that complaint).

bubbaray

The pricier boosters do tend to have higher backs. BUT I would actually get a LBB for an 8yo in a vehicle with side airbags and good side impact crash ratings (like yours).

I have a Monterey, Parkway, and HB Turbo. Of those, I'd probably go with the PW or maybe the Monterey. Both fit. Y super skinny 8yo well. The Turbo is too short for her and isn't very padded.

Another to consider is a Harmony, they are cheap and nicely padded.

It's crazy how much prices can range when it comes to boosters, hey? It makes most peoples thoughts head where yours are right now.

We have no evidence to support that a $200.00 booster is any safer than a $40.00 booster.

While the fabric may be nicer, and the back portion sturdier, it doesn't make it any safer, to our knowledge.

For an 8 year old neuro-typical child in a car with side air bags, as mentioned above by other members, I would go with a low back booster. For the amount of time a child will last at that age in a high back booster, it is more than likely not worth your money. We also have no data to confirm or deny that a high back booster is any safer than a low back booster. High back boosters are generally recommended when a child is younger and new to boosters, as they are still learning to control their impulses (leaning out of position, falling asleep).
A few questions that will help with recommendations:

Do you feel your child would stay in place with the belt routed properly for the entire ride?
Do they typically fall asleep in the car?
How are they built? (chunky, skinny, tall, short)
What is their torso height and weight?

It's a very good question you are asking!

Kat_Momof3

the safest booster and whether to use highback/no back all depends on the child, the vehicle, and budget. I would not say one seat is safer over the other, but more pricey ones do have extras that cheaper ones don't have. That said, I would not go over what I could afford.

scariestone

The most important thing with boosters is the belt geometry. Some boosters don't work in some cars. Some boosters also don't fit some kids well so trying them out is a must. More expensive can mean more comfortable/more features but it doesn't mean safer.

henrietta

I am purchasing two new booster seats for my short/slim 8 year old daughters. I am considering the Clek oobr, the cybex (which you can still get at sears on line) and the Diono Monetary. The firs two are very expensive say compared with a turbo booster. Can I assume it's better quality or it really doesn't matter? Any suggestions on which way to go? Unfort. I can't have the girls try them before purchasing as no local store carries.

These seats will mostly be used in a VW passat with occasional use in a honda odyssey.

thx.

What did they outgrow or what are you replacing and why?

How tall are they? I know you said they are short and slim, but how tiny are they?

We do have a Cybex booster for my 7 yr old. He's been in it since he was 6 yrs and 40 lbs. He's now (one full year later) 46" tall and 44 lbs. He still has a few clicks to go, but it's not the tallest booster out there. The fit is really, really good. He loves the fabric and the headwings that the inside leans back in. It is tough for him to buckle. And the shoulder belt comes out of the guide easily, so must make sure that it's truely in there every time. You can't exactly tell from the front.

I've been happy w/the fact that it latches in easily, is comfy for him, and is pretty good in most cars. But the shoulder belt thing is annoying and can be tough to deal with if the seatbelt comes out from in front of the seat at all.

epost

Hi,
They are about 47 and 49 inches and weight 45 and 55 pounds. We just bought a 2nd car so we need new seats. I have one turbo booster as an extra but it doesn't seem very substantial to me (thus the question) and I am not convinced the belt sits the right way. I really don't mind spending extra for the right seat but also don't want to be stupid and spend money unnecessarily. Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC