Some People just don't get it.

I have a friend that really does mean well and wants her son to be a safe as possible in the car but she just doesn't get some things. I tried to explain to her why the Mighty Tite isn't Ok (ie it can cut the seat belt, become a flying object ect) And she says to me "that is why I use the seat belt and latch, that way if something happens with the seat belt and it fails his seat is still strapped in".

I said you are using both? You are only supposed to use one or the other not both. She said "" I then said well you probably have seat belts that lock if you have an accident. She said "yes I do but since those fail so often I don't want to just use the seat belt I feel better using both. I asked her were she got the info that the seat belts fail so often and she said off of a you tube video and that is were she also read to use both latch and a seat belt. I tried one more time to explain but I could tell she was getting upset so I just let it drop for now. Any good info out there that I can refer her to or do I just let this one go? DH tells me to pick my battles should I?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Safety Belt Safe USA posted an excellent response to the YouTube video that your friend likely viewed. The response talks about best practices, higher weight limit harnessed carseats, and also makes of point of addressing concerns about seatbelt failure rates, if you feel that would help reassure your friend: http://www.carseat.org/Resources/650_YouTube.pdf

As to using the lower LATCH anchors plus the seatbelt to install the carseat, it's not recommended because it's counter to the carseat manual's instructions (for most carseats, with a few newer belt positioning boosters being the only exceptions), and also counter to the vehicle manufacturer's instructions. Using both either hasn't been crash tested, or was tested and determined to potentially cause more harm than good, perhaps by having the seatbelt and LATCH anchors cancel each other out and transferring more crash forces to the child.

If she needs guidance about how her vehicle's seatbelts work, and how they may be locked to achieve a proper carseat installation, an excellent web page to help her is at: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
As to using the lower LATCH anchors plus the seatbelt to install the carseat, it's not recommended because it's counter to the carseat manual's instructions (for most carseats, with a few newer belt positioning boosters being the only exceptions), and also counter to the vehicle manufacturer's instructions. Using both either hasn't been crash tested, or was tested and determined to potentially cause more harm than good, perhaps by having the seatbelt and LATCH anchors cancel each other out and transferring more crash forces to the child.

I usually add to this that "your child is way too cute to be a crash test dummy." :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC