Baby not comfortable in Radian Premier :(

mar22

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I just got a Radian Premier to use with my 1 year old son. We installed it forward facing because he was extremely irritable facing backwards with his infant seat but then I realized that's not the safest way for a 1 year old to be.

However, the problem is, the Radian Premier is very upright and makes his body in a 90 degree angle. He hates this and screams hysterically. Is there anyway we can get a more lay back or reclined car seat? Which brand would work best along with cushion and comfort?

I'm also aiming for a smaller width because we have a 2005 Civic (7th generation) and I have another Radian Premier for my daughter. If we have a third child we'd need the space for a 3rd car seat because we just downsized from a Honda Odyssey since it was guzzling gas.

Thanks for your time! :)

ADS

ame0312

so its now installed rear facing, right? do you have the rear facing boot on? its very uncommon for a radian to be too upright :)

vmmatula

very upright and makes his body in a 90 degree angle. He hates this and screams hysterically. Is there anyway we can get a more lay back or reclined car seat? Which brand would work best along with cushion and comfort?

However, the problem is, the Radian Premier is very upright and makes his body in a 90 degree angle. He hates this and screams hysterically. Is there anyway we can get a more lay back or reclined car seat? Which brand would work best along with cushion and comfort?

Hi, so glad you're interested in keeping your little guy safer!

As far as which seat, you've picked a great seat for keeping him rear facing for a nice long time. before replacing it, I'd first recommend trying to reinstall the Radian. No rfing seat should be that upright. there should be a line either on a label somewhere or molded in the plastic that'll help you know the correct angle to install the seat. If getting it installed at a proper angle isnt working you might want to call a tech in your area to help:)

What I have found the most helpful of all the tips I've heard for rear facing installations is to push the front seats all the way up, set the car seat on the car's seat, feed the seatbelt or latch strap thru the beltpath and buckle. then to tighten, stand behind the child seat pressing your body against the seat(will hit at your pelvic bones or hips etc depending on your height). now, lean over the seatbackto push seat in and tighten belt at the same time. now check the angle and the tightness and adjust/reinstall as necessary.

mar22

Hi thanks for the reply.

Well that was yesterday so I'm not going out with him until I can figure out how to make him a bit more comfortable. Either by advice on getting a new car seat that can meet my expectations or figuring out how to make this one a bit more comfortable.

I have the reclining base thingy that attaches on the bottom but I haven't tried it out rear facing yet. Is it worth all the trouble with installing it or should I just get a different car seat?

Thanks! :)

vmmatula: thank you so much for the tips. I will try that and see how it goes :)

April

Welcome to car-seat.org. Its great that you are here asking questions to keep your kids safe. :)

First off, I don't think you will find anyone here willing to recommend that your one year old be forward facing. Statistics show that a child your sons age is 5 times more likely to suffer serious injuries or death forward facing vs rear facing.

Many one year olds don't like rear facing in infant seats because they are SO reclined. And as you said, he is too upright forward facing. So the first thing I would try is to install the radian rear facing, to give you a happy medium in terms of recline angle. The radian can be a tricky seat to get a good angle though, so if you don't mind posting your general area, maybe there is a tech nearby who can help you out in person.

Also, keep in mind that most toddlers are generally unhappy in their carseats. It has more to do with being restrained than the direction they are facing, and usually is a phase that passes by about 18 months. Giving the child the opportunity to climb in the seat themselves and "help" you buckle them is sometimes helpful, as well as having special car only soft toys or books to keep them entertained. I know how frustrating it can be with a screaming toddler in the car (mother of five here!). Much like when they want to run through a parking lot or across the street, of course it makes them unhappy when we say no, but we have to do it to keep them safe. But I would exhaust every single possible option before turning a child that age forward facing.
Posted via Mobile Device

vmmatula

I have the reclining base thingy that attaches on the bottom but I haven't tried it out rear facing yet. Is it worth all the trouble with installing it or should I just get a different car seat?

Its worth giving it a few tries for sure! Especially since you already have it at your home and in your car. It really is a great seat and likely necessary for 3 across situations in smaller vehicles. From my experience (obviously limited) and research, it's not usually a difficult install...once in a while but you could search your car and the particular seat to see what comes up for ease of use.

Are you talking about the base that looks like this?
radian%20base__13716_zoom.jpg
If so, that piece is required for rear-facing use. That's the boot that ame0312 mentioned in her earlier post. The bottom of the carseat itself also moves to adjust the recline, but that's only for forward-facing.

With the boot on, the seat will usually give a generous recline (sometimes too much, in which case the angle adjuster can be useful--http://us.diono.com/en/car-seat-accessories/angle-adjuster).

aept

Just double checking about something...
When you attach the extra piece for rear-facing, make sure you check the manual and attach it at the correct part of the bottom of the seat. It should go where your child's feet would be, not under their back/bottom. When you put the Radian on the vehicle seat rear-facing, that extra part will nestle right down in the "crack" of the seat (called the seat "bight".)
The new Radians also have a spot on the back/bottom to attach that part which is for in-store display only. All it does in that position is help the seat sit up without falling over on a store shelf. Make sure you ARE NOT putting the piece there for a rear-facing installation. That would make the back part of the Radian sit straight up vertically on the seat and would be unsafe and very uncomfortable, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

I think you should definitely try your Radian out rear facing instead :)

There are a lot of babies who don't like the infant seat, but once you switch to a rear facing convertible they like it much better, so definitely try it first, there's still hope!

Phineasmama

Just saw your other posts, definitely check your manual for how to properly install it rear facing, and if you have any questions you can always take pictures and there are quite a few techs on here who would be happy to help out!

keri1292

The Radian usually has a great recline...
xtsl.jpg

If you tried it forward facing and he cried, I'm not surprised. A lot of kids don't feel comfortable forward facing. Dangling legs can give them a backache and the more upright position makes it hard to sleep.

Also, it sounds like he didn't like his infant seat either. I would guess that he just doesn't like being restrained period so is also going to fuss about the Radian.

Definitely give it a shot rear-facing and see how he does. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC