Forward facing harness + trach

U

Unregistered

What would be recommendations for a child Forward Facing with a new, recent trach?
Worried about head-slump being uncomfortable/dangerous... ??

ADS

Xandra

Not a tech, but a reclined seat would help, such as the MyRide.

Xandra, Foster Mommy to O, 8yrs-Parkway SGL, A, 4yrs-Frontier, and L, 12mos-RF Radian XTSL * Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Xandra said:
Not a tech, but a reclined seat would help, such as the MyRide.

That would be my thought, too, but I'm bumping this up in case someone with special needs training/similar experience has other ideas.

featherhead

How old/big is the child? Maybe rear-facing would be an option. There are seats that rear-face up to 45 lbs in case you weren't aware.

christineka

Please tell us how old the child is, how much the child weighs, and torso length (from bum to shoulder, sitting). Do you have a car seat already? If so, which one? What vehicle do you have?

Shaunam

Generally with a trach you want a second person in the car at all times to help care for the child. Obviously this is not always possible. If you can put the child rear-facing, that is preffered because you can recline the seat a full 45 degrees, then put up a soft mirror so you can see the child. For forward facing children, a seat that can be reclined is always helpful, especially if the child lacks full head control. Like one pp said, the Graco My Ride has excellent recline to it. I've found that using an HME helps protect my daughter's airway in the event that her head flops down, she can still breath out the sides of the HME. You can also use a trach extender (sorry I have no personal experience with these) to protect the airway if their head should flop down.

U

Unregistered

So sorry I'm replying so late. Thank you all.

Child is still in hospital, but will come home with trach for short amount of time (docs are hoping less than 2 months)
Child weighs more than 20 lbs, but less than 30. Has been FF since 1st birthday. Will be 2 yrs in December.

I've tried to convince parents/grandparents to Rear-Face due to the extreme increase in safety when RF vs FF. plus the recline I think would be more comfortable, too.
They would rather keep him "how he is used to riding so they can see him at all times"

Thanks to recommendations, I've suggested the MyRide to them.
After looking online for seats with "recline" options, they are also looking at the Graco Size4Me70, the Safety1st AlphaOmegaElite, and the Evenflo Momentum65DLX.

Is the Graco MyRide 65 still the best option out of these to get best recline/comfort and safety?

They were hoping to get a FF only seat that had decent recline that would last as a long-term seat, but werent finding anything they were liking.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The MyRide definitely has the best recline of those seats.

The Britax Frontier 85 can install pretty reclined in some vehicles, but nothing like the MyRide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC