Another Q about Canadian 65lb car seats

DeeBabe

Hello!

I have to thank you all for posting such great info on 5-point-harness car seats. I hadn't thought ahead to when my DD is 5 or 6 years old (she's 28 months now) and am happy to know what type of seat she needs to be in when she outgrows the Safety1st convertible she's in now. I had thought she'd be in this one and then a booster... but I know for sure I want to keep her in a 5-point as long as possible.

So my question is... would you gals mind confirming for me that in Canada we are still waiting for the Britax Marathon and the Radian in the 65lb weight? I've read the other posts regarding this and am still unsure. I did check the Canadian Tire website and it appears that what they still sell is the 48 lb Radian and BabyProofingPlus also selling only the 48 lb. version.

As well, the Britax Marathon as compared to the Radian... I read the Radian will give me a few inches more shoulder height... is that correct?

My DD is tall and slender and will grow out of the Safety1st convertible sooner than I expected (she is now 32 lbs in weight at 28 months), so I will be looking for either the Marathon or Radian. Any thoughts/preferences/advice greatly appreciated.

And BTW, I'm in Ontario. Thanks a bunch, Dee

ADS

thrillhouse

I have a radian premier I just got tonight. It has a weight limit of 65 lbs and is canadian. I also have a marathon which ds1 has reached the limit as far as shoulder height, but he has about 2 inches to grow yet in this, not counting the allowed 1 inch to grow past the harness slot, which I am not sure I would do yet. it appears the radian will last longer than the marathon.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
So my question is... would you gals mind confirming for me that in Canada we are still waiting for the Britax Marathon and the Radian in the 65lb weight? As well, the Britax Marathon as compared to the Radian... I read the Radian will give me a few inches more shoulder height... is that correct?
Coming this September we should start seeing the 65lb limit Marathons on store shelves. I noticed that Canadian Tire is clearing out the Radians and I am hoping that is so that they will get updated stock with a higher weight limit. There are other baby stores/boutiques that already carry higher weight Radians :thumbsup:

As for which seat, they are both great seats but the Radian can sometimes be hard to install in some vehicles. What vehicle will you be installing it in?

Islandmama926

We decided to get a Marathon because of the easier installation, but we would have gone with a Radian had we not needed something to be moved between cars.

I can't wait for the 65lb Marathons! Is the price going to stay the same? Anyone know? :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We decided to get a Marathon because of the easier installation, but we would have gone with a Radian had we not needed something to be moved between cars.

I can't wait for the 65lb Marathons! Is the price going to stay the same? Anyone know? :D

It should stay the same, but I don't know for sure... it's the same seat, just different labels and instructions, so I don't know why they'd increase the price.

DeeBabe

Coming this September we should start seeing the 65lb limit Marathons on store shelves. I noticed that Canadian Tire is clearing out the Radians and I am hoping that is so that they will get updated stock with a higher weight limit. There are other baby stores/boutiques that already carry higher weight Radians :thumbsup:

As for which seat, they are both great seats but the Radian can sometimes be hard to install in some vehicles. What vehicle will you be installing it in?

Hi Jewels! I will be installing in a 2005 Toyota Camry with LATCH. The seat I have now is the Safety1st Intera and it's in rock-solid, FF, centre position. Do you have any tips/advice on the Radian install?

I was doing more research and looks like the advice from many is the Radian will last longer, so that's what I'll be buying. I did locate a website selling the new 65lb weight limit... www.tjskids.com in BC at $269CN. So the new seats are out there.

My DD is on the last shoulder position with the Intera and we will be in winter jackets before long. I also find the harness difficult to tighten on the Intera (quite frustrating getting her in snuggly 2x/day:mad:). I think it's in so tight that the harness gets stuck between the Camry's back seat and the Intera, KWIM?

Thanks ladies! Dee :)

shauburg

So my question is... would you gals mind confirming for me that in Canada we are still waiting for the Britax Marathon and the Radian in the 65lb weight? I've read the other posts regarding this and am still unsure. I did check the Canadian Tire website and it appears that what they still sell is the 48 lb Radian and BabyProofingPlus also selling only the 48 lb. version.

Tummies to Tots have the Radian & Radian Premier with 65 lb weight limit stickers. On the regular Radian though, they still have some 48 lb ones in stock too, so you would have to be sure to specify that you want a 65 lb one. They are more $ than CT, but have free shipping right now. I got my Radian Premier through them and it was shipped free via FedEx to Edmonton. I am not sure where you are in ON, but they are in London.

DeeBabe

Thanks Shauburg!

I am close to London... an hour away... my hometown as a matter-of-fact. I will check Tummies to Tots out for the Radian.

How did your install go?

Dee

Loves2sing

If you plan on installing the Radian with LATCH, then have no fear. The only problems people have had with Radian installs have been with the seat belt, except for in a Honda CRV, which some have had issues with with the LATCH install as well. But thus far that is the only vehicle that people have had issues with when it comes to a LATCH install. Good luck finding your new seat, and I wouldn't worry about finding a new Radian with the 65 lb limit, as it sounds like CT is running out of the old Radians, at least in Calgary anyway, and there new shipments should be with the 65 lb weight limit.;)

singingpond

Hi Jewels! I will be installing in a 2005 Toyota Camry with LATCH. The seat I have now is the Safety1st Intera and it's in rock-solid, FF, centre position. Do you have any tips/advice on the Radian install?

Are you sure your vehicle manual allows the use of LATCH in the center position? I thought Toyotas generally do not; very few vehicles in general have dedicated center LATCH anchors, and only a few allow borrowing of outer anchors for an install in the center. Also, the lower anchors do have a weight limit (48 pounds in many cars, 40 pounds in some, higher in a few others), so even if you have a 65-pound seat, you have to install it with the seatbelt (not LATCH) after your child goes over that limit -- just something to keep in mind for the future.

Katrin (not a Canadian, just peeking over here occasionally)

canadianmom2three

Not to be nosy, but is there actually someone else in my town who actually cares about car seat safety??? I am also an hour out of London ON, straight west down the 402...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC