Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Wide gate for top of stairs

I've been Googling until my eyes bleed and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. In desperate need of a gate.

Requirements:
    • can be used at the top of stairs (so not pressure mounted)
    • fits a 51" opening
    • a banister kit may be useful
    • stylish is a definite bonus

I'm picky on the look of the gate but I still want to have all options in front of me. Almost everything I find only fits 42" or 48". Right now the Lascal Kiddyguard Avant is in the running http://www.snugglebugz.ca/kiddy-guard-avant-black.html

Any ideas?

If you find me one like the one pictured below, you are fired from helping me shop.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I'm blanking...why can't pressure mount be used at the top of stairs?

ETA: I'm guessing just from the safety perspective...you wouldn't want your kid falling down the stairs because the pressure mount failed.

So far the only one I found was pressure mount.

http://amzn.com/B004CLBX2M
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Did you check out the Munchkin ones? Most of them only extend to about 40", but they offer several different extension piece, including an 11" one.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Carseat Crazy

Re: Wide gate for top of stairs

Do you prefer wood or metal?

Found these wood ones with a quick search and both fit up to 52":

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=536536

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=538067

Another retractable:
    http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=538067

Metal comes in black or white (you would need one extension set):
    http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=536656

Quote Originally Posted by amyd
    Did you check out the Munchkin ones? Most of them only extend to about 40", but they offer several different extension piece, including an 11" one.
    I didn't realize they had extensions. I'll check them out again

Quote Originally Posted by jordansmom
    Do you prefer wood or metal?

Found these wood ones with a quick search and both fit up to 52":

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=536536
    This style would work in our house. The colour is off though, wonder if I could re-stain...likely would involve stripping and be way too much work. I'll show DH and see if the colour isn't too clashy. Thank you!

The 2nd one I didn't like, the retractable would work but I'd go with the black Kiddyguard over white, the metal one in black could work although the 1st one or black Kiddyguard would look better.

I seem to recall I had some trouble ordering from One Step Ahead before but it does look like they ship to Canada (maybe they didn't before?) so I'll check that out today.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

So we're seriously considering the wood/clear that jordansmom posted. I had One Step Ahead confused with Right Start which is actually the place I had the shipping problems with. OSA does ship to Canada, but they use UPS which is notorious for insane collection fees to Canada, so out of principle, I avoid places that use UPS. I was thinking of getting it shipped to my U.S. forwarding place then to me, but there's an oversize shipping charge on it so I'd be paying for shipping to the U.S., then to Canada and in the end I have no idea if that will be more or less than UPS. Not to mention that slows the delivery time down and we need this, like yesterday.

If I decide to suck it up and use UPS, which seriously could add $100 in fees to my total, on top of the $100 gate and $50 shipping...are there any OSA coupons that people are aware of? I tried their SHIP85 to see if it would take off the basic shipping charge to Canada, but it actually charges me MORE shipping than without the coupon. And then I see they have a $20 off $100 or more so I could see about adding something super cheap to my cart to get that $.05 extra on my total. Any coupons other than those?

And is OSA online only? or do they have brick & mortar stores?

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    If I decide to suck it up and use UPS, which seriously could add $100 in fees to my total, on top of the $100 gate and $50 shipping...are there any OSA coupons that people are aware of? I tried their SHIP85 to see if it would take off the basic shipping charge to Canada, but it actually charges me MORE shipping than without the coupon. And then I see they have a $20 off $100 or more so I could see about adding something super cheap to my cart to get that $.05 extra on my total. Any coupons other than those?

And is OSA online only? or do they have brick & mortar stores?
    I believe they are online only with an outlet store in IL. That probably won't help you! I just got a catologue in the mail today that has the $20 off $100 coupon code, but none others that I am aware of. IIRC they are few and far between with their coupons...my guess is because a lot of their things are exclusive items? Good luck with your decision!

CPS Fanatic

I love the evenflo wide/tall top of stairs version of their natural wood gate and it's reasonably priced, but I think it only goes up to 48". Good luck! Those really wide gates are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty4Knowledge View Post
    I'm blanking...why can't pressure mount be used at the top of stairs?

ETA: I'm guessing just from the safety perspective...you wouldn't want your kid falling down the stairs because the pressure mount failed.

So far the only one I found was pressure mount.

http://amzn.com/B004CLBX2M
    Yes, the pressure mount gates aren't all that secure and can fail if the kid leans on them too hard. I know someone it happened to and when it happens, it's scary stuff. When DD climbed our hardware mounted gate, it did not fail. HTH.

Well Snuggle Bugz had a 3 hour flash 20% off sale tonight so I ordered the Lascal Kiddy Guard gate. Easier for me to get right now and with the 20% off it made it a bit more palatable even though it's a stupidly expensive gate.
    Last edited by TechnoGranola; 09-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.