Wide gate for top of stairs

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I've been Googling until my eyes bleed and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. In desperate need of a gate.

Requirements:
  • can be used at the top of stairs (so not pressure mounted)
  • fits a 51" opening
  • a banister kit may be useful
  • stylish is a definite bonus

I'm picky on the look of the gate but I still want to have all options in front of me. Almost everything I find only fits 42" or 48". Right now the Lascal Kiddyguard Avant is in the running http://www.snugglebugz.ca/kiddy-guard-avant-black.html

Any ideas?

If you find me one like the one pictured below, you are fired from helping me shop. :ROTFLMAO:
613M2bLvbFL.jpg

ADS

T4K

I'm blanking...why can't pressure mount be used at the top of stairs?

ETA: I'm guessing just from the safety perspective...you wouldn't want your kid falling down the stairs because the pressure mount failed.

So far the only one I found was pressure mount.

http://amzn.com/B004CLBX2M

amyd

Did you check out the Munchkin ones? Most of them only extend to about 40", but they offer several different extension piece, including an 11" one.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
amyd said:
Did you check out the Munchkin ones? Most of them only extend to about 40", but they offer several different extension piece, including an 11" one.
I didn't realize they had extensions. I'll check them out again

jordansmom said:
Do you prefer wood or metal?

Found these wood ones with a quick search and both fit up to 52":

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=538067&cmSource=CrossSell&relatedProductId=536536

This style would work in our house. The colour is off though, wonder if I could re-stain...likely would involve stripping and be way too much work. I'll show DH and see if the colour isn't too clashy. Thank you!

The 2nd one I didn't like, the retractable would work but I'd go with the black Kiddyguard over white, the metal one in black could work although the 1st one or black Kiddyguard would look better.

I seem to recall I had some trouble ordering from One Step Ahead before but it does look like they ship to Canada (maybe they didn't before?) so I'll check that out today.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So we're seriously considering the wood/clear that jordansmom posted. I had One Step Ahead confused with Right Start which is actually the place I had the shipping problems with. OSA does ship to Canada, but they use UPS which is notorious for insane collection fees to Canada, so out of principle, I avoid places that use UPS. I was thinking of getting it shipped to my U.S. forwarding place then to me, but there's an oversize shipping charge on it so I'd be paying for shipping to the U.S., then to Canada and in the end I have no idea if that will be more or less than UPS. Not to mention that slows the delivery time down and we need this, like yesterday.

If I decide to suck it up and use UPS, which seriously could add $100 in fees to my total, on top of the $100 gate and $50 shipping...are there any OSA coupons that people are aware of? I tried their SHIP85 to see if it would take off the basic shipping charge to Canada, but it actually charges me MORE shipping than without the coupon. :confused: And then I see they have a $20 off $100 or more so I could see about adding something super cheap to my cart to get that $.05 extra on my total. Any coupons other than those?

And is OSA online only? or do they have brick & mortar stores?

jordansmom

If I decide to suck it up and use UPS, which seriously could add $100 in fees to my total, on top of the $100 gate and $50 shipping...are there any OSA coupons that people are aware of? I tried their SHIP85 to see if it would take off the basic shipping charge to Canada, but it actually charges me MORE shipping than without the coupon. :confused: And then I see they have a $20 off $100 or more so I could see about adding something super cheap to my cart to get that $.05 extra on my total. Any coupons other than those?

And is OSA online only? or do they have brick & mortar stores?

I believe they are online only with an outlet store in IL. That probably won't help you! I just got a catologue in the mail today that has the $20 off $100 coupon code, but none others that I am aware of. IIRC they are few and far between with their coupons...my guess is because a lot of their things are exclusive items? Good luck with your decision!

Athena

I love the evenflo wide/tall top of stairs version of their natural wood gate and it's reasonably priced, but I think it only goes up to 48". Good luck! Those really wide gates are hard to find.

I'm blanking...why can't pressure mount be used at the top of stairs?

ETA: I'm guessing just from the safety perspective...you wouldn't want your kid falling down the stairs because the pressure mount failed.

So far the only one I found was pressure mount.

http://amzn.com/B004CLBX2M

Yes, the pressure mount gates aren't all that secure and can fail if the kid leans on them too hard. I know someone it happened to and when it happens, it's scary stuff. When DD climbed our hardware mounted gate, it did not fail. HTH. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well Snuggle Bugz had a 3 hour flash 20% off sale tonight so I ordered the Lascal Kiddy Guard gate. Easier for me to get right now and with the 20% off it made it a bit more palatable even though it's a stupidly expensive gate.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC