2 yr old, bus travel to city

patterson0711

I have a friend who must make a business trip to NYC (from the Philly area) in a few days & now must bring her daughter who just turned two.

She'll be taking a public bus (like a Greyhound or something) into the city & probably trains (possibly taxis but will try to avoid if at all possible).

It's not feasible to bring a car seat & lug it around the city all day along w/ her toddler. The bus may not have seatbelts either--there's no way to find out ahead of time really.

I have a Sit n' Stroll sitting around (but it's expired) that I offered to let her borrow, thinking that, even if it's just sitting on the bus seat, it would still be slightly better than a toddler who wants to run around a bus on a 2 hr long drive & she'd be able to use it as a stroller in the city. But since it is expired I really don't know how much more safer it would really be.

Does anyone know of any other options at all? Even if it were a REALLY lightweight seat, a regular car seat just wouldn't be an option for her. I can't think of any other products that could be used w/o seatbelts and/or top tether for a small toddler.

Oh! She's currently about 22# & wears size 18 mo clothes (she didn't know her height).

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most buses won't have seatbelts. I'd put my child on the seat. The bus is large and has compartmentalization. I wouldn't have her roam, just play with her or let her play games or sleep in the seats.

Here's Laine on the bus from Gumi to Incheon airport when we were in South Korea in April. Big charter bus. She sat the entire 2.5 hour trip, though I did have to tell her to get down from the window sill fairly often.

523925_3365738416827_987850203_n.jpg

Wendy

patterson0711

hmmmmm....Idk that she has the extra money to buy another seat right now. (She has 4 kids, including a set of twins.) Even $40-50 might be pushing it right now, especially since it would likely be the only time she'd need it. :-/

Maybe nothing is the best option?

mdsvc89

From Philly area to NYC I'd just take the bus to Port Authority, or (my preference) train to Penn Station. Both are well serviced by subway and bus, and she'll be able to get anywhere she wants/needs to without taking a taxi.

I'd just take the stroller and go!

Michelle

gigi

mdsvc89 said:
From Philly area to NYC I'd just take the bus to Port Authority, or (my preference) train to Penn Station. Both are well serviced by subway and bus, and she'll be able to get anywhere she wants/needs to without taking a taxi.

I'd just take the stroller and go!

Michelle

I agree 100% with this... I lived in NYC for 12 years, had 2 kids there, and never absolutely HAD to take a taxi.

alake

I worked as an agent for greyhound for three years, but haven't worked in three years for them. These may have changed.
A child restraint may only be used on a bus with seat belts ( I know previously mentioned.) There are no top tethers, but wheel chair accessible buses are equipped with seat belts so people with accessibility and mobility issues that don't require to be sat in the chair can be belted in. Also used to restrain wheel chairs. If it is a wheel chair bus, that doesn't have disabled people requiring these spots they are free for anyone to use. The seat is scene as a hazard, if in an accident it will become a projectile.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC